lookin for lights

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
there are many threads on the topic but I was thinkin bout mounting a few bicycle headlights so I get better lighting and visibility, I have been lookin around and cannot decide what to get though, I have one that has a tendency to shut off due to the vibration and I have to hit it to get it goin.

This topic confuses me a bit and I don't really want to spend a fortune but I still need to be safe.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
you could buy a motorcycle battery 7 aph and go to walmart and buy a set of fog driving lights thats what i did with my set up and its prettty bright here is pic of my bike and you could see the head light where i have it mount it.trk

Attachments

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Re: looking for lights

Living in the suburbs of Birmingham, traffic is a particular problem for me and has long ago driven me into the dark. My first lighting system consisted of a 20w MR16 spot in a reworked Malibu light housing and a 5ah AGM. Ride time was about 1 1/2 hours but the 20w wasn't cutting it at my 30mph cruse speed. I changed to a 35w MR16 and it helped but put a strain on the 5ah battery. I just decided on an upgrade to a 7ah battery and an automotive driving light, using a 35w H3 bulb. It was only marginally better than the MR16 so again I upgraded.

This time, I used both the 5ah and the 7ah together and went to a 55w H3 bulb. That hit the sweet spot for me, plenty of light and a beam far enough down the road to stay out of trouble. I tried it the first time, before daylight last Sunday. I ran the 55w headlight and 6w tail light for about 45 minutes and my 9w parking lights for about 20 minutes. After letting the batteries stabilize for a few minutes, I checked them with a volt meter and found them at 12.5 volts. This is still 90% of full charge so I think I could get at least an hour and a half at full light output.

Attachments

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Batteries are available here from Batteries Plus, lights from the local auto parts dealer. I used a 4x4 electrical box from Home Depot for my circuit box. Camera bags from Wally World or Bell Under Seat Bags work for batteries. Just look around and get creative.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

Living in the suburbs of Birmingham, traffic is a particular problem for me and has long ago driven me into the dark. My first lighting system consisted of a 20w MR16 spot in a reworked Malibu light housing and a 5ah AGM. Ride time was about 1 1/2 hours but the 20w wasn't cutting it at my 30mph cruse speed. I changed to a 35w MR16 and it helped but put a strain on the 5ah battery. I just decided on an upgrade to a 7ah battery and an automotive driving light, using a 35w H3 bulb. It was only marginally better than the MR16 so again I upgraded.

This time, I used both the 5ah and the 7ah together and went to a 55w H3 bulb. That hit the sweet spot for me, plenty of light and a beam far enough down the road to stay out of trouble. I tried it the first time, before daylight last Sunday. I ran the 55w headlight and 6w tail light for about 45 minutes and my 9w parking lights for about 20 minutes. After letting the batteries stabilize for a few minutes, I checked them with a volt meter and found them at 12.5 volts. This is still 90% of full charge so I think I could get at least an hour and a half at full light output.
Nice ! ! ! usflg

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I've been using high output LED's , Cree's in particular, rechargable bateries and 12 v bottle gen. Overall the juice needed is less than the bulb types.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Yes, the LED are much easier on batteries than halogen. My 55 watt only gives me a good 45 minutes of run time on a single 7ah AGM, a 50 watt equivalent LED only pulls 9 watts. The area that gives me concern is the lumens on each bulb. The halogen is rated at about 1550 lumens, while the Cree MR16 9 watt unit is only rated at 410 lumens. Can't really say that I understand the discrepancy, when they are marketed as being equivalent.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I run a pair of x-lamps on front, and it's pretty nice. Could be a little brighter.

The real advantage is never having to charge my batteries after a ride, since I can run rechargeable cells and the consumption is so low. THe bottle gen powers all the lights with juice to spare.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
NiteRider 200 MiNewt for the front and a Bell flasher for the rear.....you'll be seen as well as be able too see, but the NightRider isn't cheap. It's a combo that really works for me, really well.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Hey Kerf, is that a Tiny-Tach on yer dashboard? It looks like it.....nice set-up by the way!

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
cheap and easy headelight helper or if you are nuts like me it can be youre main light but remember i ride mine at night in an industrial are where i work that has street lights but this thing is bright. You can but it at wally world (walmart) its a headlight made by coleman it has a one watt spot light cost 21 bucks and by headlight it straps to youre head with any oter head light system it willhelp tremendously i use one for my main light but i also work night shift and use the same light on the roof tops of buildings