Current laws in Minnesota

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Can any of you Minnesota people give me links or direct information on current laws regarding motor bicycles in Minnesota? I'm from the northeastern part of the state near Ely and the boundary waters. Being the only rider I know of I have not been hassled and have not much looked in to the laws. I really should know what is and what's coming since I expect to start selling a few motored bikes (2 strokes) this summer and need to let customers know what is what. Have any of you been hassled by your local police? Many thanks,
Silverbear

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the link. I see that this information is as of 2005 and requires head and tail light, (headlight on all the time) a horn, less than 50CC engine displacement and the same insurance as required for a motorcycle. No insurance if it is electric. Turn signals are required if it is ridden at night. Drivers license. Helmet.
Hmm. Horn??? I guess I'll have to look in to that and see what I can mickey mouse, not that I will use it. I don't know about the insurance either. I guess I'll see what my auto insurance people have to say, but I'm inclined to not follow up unless it is really cheap and just play stupid. Lights, helmet, etc. make sense and I'll go along with, but insurance? We'll see.
If anyone knows of any newer legislation or something in the works I'd appreciate hearing about it.
SB

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Never been hassled here in Two Harbors, MN and none of my four motorbikes meet all the legal requirements. Frankly I think the police here just don't know what to make of it and don't seem to care much, but then I try to ride them with respect to others on the road and don't make a habit of showboating. I rode them in the greater Seattle area for a year before moving back to MN and never had trouble there either.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Never been hassled here in Two Harbors, MN and none of my four motorbikes meet all the legal requirements. Frankly I think the police here just don't know what to make of it and don't seem to care much, but then I try to ride them with respect to others on the road and don't make a habit of showboating. I rode them in the greater Seattle area for a year before moving back to MN and never had trouble there either.
Two Harbors! Awesome, practically next door. (Within a hundred miles anyway.) Anybody else in your area riding these? Glad to hear that you're not getting hassled. Ever get over toward Ely?
SB

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I met a guy who lived down in Cloquet who said he was building one but no one else here rides them. Occasionally I can have three or four on the road at once though when my son's are up. We call ourselves the "Two Harbors Motorcycle Gang."

I just got mine out again due to the nice weather we've been having. I mostly ride on the outskirts of town, avoiding the "downtown" area so I suppose that makes it easier for the police to turn a blind eye.

I've not been to Ely, though I have a general idea where it is. Not any direct roads between here and there though.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
AsiansMonkey,
That must be great riding with your sons. Three or four bikes... sounds serious terrorizing Two Harbors with a motor bi cycle gang,,, ha! My excuse is that I intend to start selling a few this summer. If I don't, well then I'll never want for having something to ride. It sure is fun. I've passed through your area on the way to Grand Portage a few times. I doubt there is much interest in Duluth wiith hills to rival San Fransisco. I guess we're the pioneers in our part of the world.
SB

thereyago

Aug 18, 2010
mn
I joined to post some of the research that I have done so I will throw all the info I found in one post on the mn topic. I have not seen this stuff referred to but as far as I can tell Motorized bikes are legal and not required to register in mn. There is a light requirement but the referance in statute is to a provision stating that motorcycle lights must stay on. Anyway here we go and I would love to see feedback since I wonder why no one else found this info and insists on refering to thier builds as mopeds when there is a specific motorized bike statute in mn. Bottom line is that the pertinant info is under the motorized bicycle statute last updated in 2009

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/scooter.pdf THis is a legislative research paper from 2004

From the article- Motorized bicycles must be registered and licensed at an annual tax of $6. No title is required. They may be operated on streets and highways if registered, but the operator needs either a driver’s license or a motorized bicycle operator permit. They may not be operated on a sidewalk except to cross it. The vehicle must have a headlight and, if operated at night, a taillight. If the vehicle is an electric-assisted bicycle an operator must wear a helmet when riding on a street or highway; if it is a motorized bicycle a helmet is required only up to age 18. Operators of motorized bicycles must wear eye protection but operators of electric-assisted bicycles need not do so. Headlights and taillights are required for nighttime operation.

Alright so that previous post was a legislative research in 2004 before the voluntary bicycle registration program was cancelled.

Below is the current motorized bicycle law. TO me this tells me that no registration is possible since they canceled the bicycle registration program and it seems pretty straight forward, eye protection is the only requirement over 18 and only on roads for the most part. However the lighting for night operation has to be motorcycle worthy.

Motorized bicycle - IF you are looking for something to print out this would be it

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.223&year=2009

Lighting ( only at night)-

After persueing the different referances that is not as clear.

In the end though there is a specific section about using the motorized bike and it doesn't have to be registered though you do have to have a license.

In the statute about Motorized Bicycles it says-

Subdivision 1.Safety equipment; parking.Except as otherwise provided in this section, section 169.974 relating to motorcycles is applicable to motorized bicycles

and

(2) a motorized bicycle equipped with a headlight and taillight meeting the requirements of lighting for motorcycles may be operated during nighttime hours;

Subd. 4.Headlight requirement.The provisions of section 169.974, subdivision 5, paragraph (i), apply to motorized bicycles that are equipped with headlights. After June 1, 1987, a new motorized bicycle sold or offered for sale in Minnesota must be equipped with a headlight.

So basically if you want to run at night it must be a headlight and tail corresponding to the provision of section 169.974 subdivision 5 paragraph(i)

that provision states-

No person shall operate a motorcycle on a street or highway unless the headlight or headlights are lighted at all times the motorcycle is so operated. There is nothing in the provision reffered to in the motorized bicycle statute that talks about turn signals, high/low beams. ( those things would be needed if you wanted to register but you don't have to according to the 2009 statute... If you go to the DMV and ask how to register as a moped they would be right to tell you you need those things but what they are leaving out is that you are not required to register according to the statute as I read it.)

So in my mind if you rolled with a lamp and tail light that stay on at all times for night riding you are good...

If I was rolling just in my hometown (st paul) then I would keep the two laws refering to each other and you should be all good. Now someone could make the argument that it has to have highs and lows and all that, but my position would be if that is what they ment then the refered to statute would state that as a requirement. Furthermore it is not required for a motorcycle to have blinkers anyway.

To wrap up, we are lucky.

We have a specific statute that states that no registration is required for a motorized bicycle under 50cc gas or electric. That means we can have gears.
("Motorized bicycle" means a bicycle that is propelled by an electric or a liquid fuel motor of a piston displacement capacity of 50 cubic centimeters or less, and a maximum of two brake horsepower, which is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a flat surface with not more than one percent grade in any direction when the motor is engaged. "Motorized bicycle" includes an electric-assisted bicycle as defined in subdivision 27.
)

If you are over 18 then you have to wear eye protection,operate on public roads up to 30mph, if you want to run at night you have to have a head and tail light that is always on. ( someone may try to say it has to be as good as a motorcycle but I would want to see some proof of that in the legislation.I if they wanted brake lights and turn signals they would have stated that. Instead of refering to the always on provision)

my 2cents along with the links. Too bad I take my bike traveling and so I can't be as sure in other states. NOw if I could register it then I could go to other states and say well it is registered but I can't and at this point the less they get involved the better. THe whole point is keeping costs down. I like electric but without compitition the prices are gonna stay too high and i am on my third controller on my electric bike cause the water screws it up. Gas is more reliable.

I would appreciate any feed back on this and I will be posting this in other relevant threads.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
thereyago,Thanks for sharing your research. I think I will have the pretinent laws printed out and laminated to carry in a little tube under the bike seat... just in case an over zealous ill informed officer gives me a hard time, which is unlikely anyway since I am a careful rider and obey all traffic laws (not so much that I am a good citizen, but I like to stay under the radar for the most part). In my little local town of Ely I'm even less likely to be hassled as I'm an elder and a local. Still, it is good to know the law is on your side.
Regarding the motorcycle headlight. What motorcycle? What is motorcycle quality? I wonder if that is spelled out in terms of lumens, etc. I'm running lights I make myself with LEDs inside and which are quite bright. I don't ride at night anyway. Since my lights are hand made I think I will just say they are antique lights upgraded to the newer LEDs. Trying to find a motorcycle light to fit on a bicycle could be a problem... size and expense. I think too, that if we stay in the spirit of the law's intent... to be highly visible and safe, then we should be OK. I set my bikes up with running lights, headlight and brake light. Should be enough. Thanks.
SB

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Me and my sons (upper teens) ride all the time here in Two Harbors and the police have never given us more than an amused look. We do try to be respectful when riding though, which I think helps a lot.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Me and my sons (upper teens) ride all the time here in Two Harbors and the police have never given us more than an amused look. We do try to be respectful when riding though, which I think helps a lot.
I was trying to remember who it was that lived over in Two Harbors. I make deposits in my memory bank, but apparently there are withdrawals when I'm not looking that I know nothing about. How goes the riding this summer? This is slightly off topic (but it has to do with Minnesota!). I've been thinking about organizing a bike rally in Northern Minnesota at the Bearhead Lake State Park between Tower and Ely. I'm thinking next summer would be good... actually early September would be best maybe since the state park is still open then, but most of the tourists are long gone. I wonder if any of the boys from the Twin Cities would be interested since some of them come up here for the fishing anyway. What do you think?
SB

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Bills would allow electrically assisted bicycles on bike paths
By Joe Kimball

Bills now under consideration at the Legislature would allow electrically assisted bicycles on bike paths.

HF 1412 and SF 1136 would let those bicycles operated on all bike pathways and trails, including state trails managed by the Department of Natural Resources and paths created by local units of government, unless it is deemed that “operation of the electric-assisted bicycle is not consistent with safe use and enjoyment of the trail," says House Public Information Services.

This wouldn't include mopeds or motorized bicycles, said Dorian Grilley, executive director of the Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota. Electric-assisted bicycles have only a “modest electrical assist" and most have a maximum speed of 20 mph, although most are ridden at 10 to 15 mph.

House sponsor Rep. Rich Murray, a Republican from Albert Lea, said he and his wife are biking more:

“As we get older, electric-assisted bicycles will allow us to stay out on the trails, to enjoy nature, to keep exercising. This will allow elderly people, disabled people that opportunity to be outside enjoying all these trails and bike paths that we’ve put in all over this beautiful state.”

Read More... MinnPost - Bills would allow electrically assisted bicycles on bike paths

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am currently going through the same research project - and I live in just north of Minneapolis (Blaine)

According to the "Minnesota 2012 Motorcycle, Moped & Motorized Bicycle manual".
Motorized Bicycles have been re-classified as MOPEDs, and as such, are required to be registered, plated, and insured.

But when I contacted the DMV about doing just that, here's the exact reply I received:

"Thank you for contacting Driver and Vehicle Services.
Unfortunately we do not register or plate homemade MOPEDs sorry"

I've already got it insured ($6 a month).
I've jumped through ALL the hoops - Horn, Lights, BRAKE LIGHTS & TURN SIGNALS EVEN!
I've had ENOUGH of trying to "be legal".

The cops don't seem to pay any attention to me & my bike anyway, So:

I'm riding her "as-is"...

BRING 'EM ON!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I am currently going through the same research project - and I live in just north of Minneapolis (Blaine)

According to the "Minnesota 2012 Motorcycle, Moped & Motorized Bicycle manual".
Motorized Bicycles have been re-classified as MOPEDs, and as such, are required to be registered, plated, and insured.

But when I contacted the DMV about doing just that, here's the exact reply I received:

"Thank you for contacting Driver and Vehicle Services.
Unfortunately we do not register or plate homemade MOPEDs sorry"

I've already got it insured ($6 a month).
I've jumped through ALL the hoops - Horn, Lights, BRAKE LIGHTS & TURN SIGNALS EVEN!
I've had ENOUGH of trying to "be legal".

The cops don't seem to pay any attention to me & my bike anyway, So:

I'm riding her "as-is"...

BRING 'EM ON!!!!!
This is nuts. So we are supposed to insure, register and plate our bikes to be legal but the DMV does not register or plate homemade Mopeds. Pretty clearly the state doesn't know what it is doing. I wonder what would happen if I tried to insure one of my bikes if I have no registration for it? I'm surprised you were able to.
Like you, I am going to ride my bikes and make the best of it. I always wear a helmet, obey all traffic laws, have lights, etc. and generally ride responsibly. Nobody has given me any trouble in the years I've been riding one bike or another. Other than appreciating the better ones, nobody seems to care including the cops. That's fine until some zealous protector of the people decides we are breaking the law. It would seem to me that the interpretation the state has implied is that only manufactured mopeds can be registered and made legal. And this is at a time when gasoline prices are topping $4.00 a gallon. It is a situation which creates outlaws of citizens who are struggling to get by. I keep upgrading each build to make it more reliable and viable as affordabble, alternate transportation.
SB

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
You can make your bike legal , here in pa the laws are similar I had to go to my local state represenatives office an get a form for a specially constructed vehicle then the state has to approve it ,they will issue a v.i.n number an a title after approval , then the DMV can register it . I recomend trying that route . as I had read in a previos post here, think about it this way .... how would you like a ticket an fine for a unregisterd vehicle an any other charge they can come up with an the possibility of having your MB towed an impounded ? those are the consequences here .
I would hate to see any of us go through that because of the GREAT PRIDE we all share in building an riding our machines.
Gary

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've een thinking about going that route with my Indian Hiawatha build since I have more time and money invested in it. I would try to have it licensed as a light motorcycle since it is 98cc and has a two speed transmission with clutch and an obvious shift lever... pretty clearly not a moped. It will have running lights, brake light, turn signals and horn. I'd like to have it insured for what I have invested in it and to have it registered would give some protection regarding theft. I'd like to be legal in all ways. Thanks for the input, Gary.
SB

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You can make your bike legal , here in pa the laws are similar I had to go to my local state represenatives office an get a form for a specially constructed vehicle then the state has to approve it ,they will issue a v.i.n number an a title after approval , then the DMV can register it . I recomend trying that route . as I had read in a previos post here, think about it this way .... how would you like a ticket an fine for a unregisterd vehicle an any other charge they can come up with an the possibility of having your MB towed an impounded ? those are the consequences here .
I would hate to see any of us go through that because of the GREAT PRIDE we all share in building an riding our machines.
Gary
Thanks for the info... I've been investicating that route.

The "Specially Constructed Vehicle" clause also applys in Minnesota, and so far it seems like the way to go.

I talked to the DVS today and got stonewalled because of "Federal Guidelines"

They tried to blow me off, until I said the word "Kit": then she had to talk with her supervisor...

She said an MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) is required for it to have it registered.

She even had the timerity to say: "you can ride it in your back yard all you want, but it you take it on the street you will be issued a citation"

WTF? I built it from parts I bought from all over the world, and quite a bit of it was manufactured by "your's truely"... Not a single part on my bike has an "MSO"...

When I started this project about a year ago, there were no restrictions - it rode that fine line between a bicycle and a moped at the time.

I had no reason to save receipts... but now that it's a "MOPED", I really wish I would have saved those reciepts...
BECAUSE THEY SURE WANT THEM NOW!!

I have a big stinking pile of bureaucracy ahead of me...

stay tooned to this channel for nooz and official disinformation....

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the info... I've been investicating that route.

The "Specially Constructed Vehicle" clause also applys in Minnesota, and so far it seems like the way to go.

I talked to the DVS today and got stonewalled because of "Federal Guidelines"

They tried to blow me off, until I said the word "Kit": then she had to talk with her supervisor...

She said an MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) is required for it to have it registered.

She even had the timerity to say: "you can ride it in your back yard all you want, but it you take it on the street you will be issued a citation"

WTF? I built it from parts I bought from all over the world, and quite a bit of it was manufactured by "your's truely"... Not a single part on my bike has an "MSO"...

When I started this project about a year ago, there were no restrictions - it rode that fine line between a bicycle and a moped at the time.

I had no reason to save receipts... but now that it's a "MOPED", I really wish I would have saved those reciepts...
BECAUSE THEY SURE WANT THEM NOW!!

I have a big stinking pile of bureaucracy ahead of me...

stay tooned to this channel for nooz and official disinformation....
This is starting to sound like a nightmare. Until I have to jump through these hoops, or attempt to anyway, I'm going to pretend ignorance and just keep riding. An old man and his dog tooling along with a cool old motorbicycle... hopefully I will continue to get waves and smiles and no citations.
SB