registration in NY

GoldenMotor.com

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
You can't register a bicycle at the DMV. There is no vehicle identification number which they require. You can register a moped, you need a title or ( before 1973) a registration. You could re-work an old moped (having a vin #) into what you want and register that- it would need the legal stuff for a moped like lights, brake light...........

sellouma

Jan 8, 2010
New York
Thanks for the answer.
i just don't want to be pulled over and get a ticket for a non registered motorized bike, that can't be registered.LOL
this New York City, and you never know what could happen.
Cheers .shft.

sellouma

Jan 8, 2010
New York
i'm not from new york, but couldn't you use the serial number on your bike frame as the VIN? you could get a stamp kit and add a bunch of numbers if you had to.
Hi bairdco,
could you explain to me what is a stamp kit, please?
it sounds like a smart solution.
Thanks .shft.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you could but the DMV has a list of approved mopeds on there computer.
You could combine a real non working moped(with reg or title) with a bike and engine kit and register that.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
If I remember the law well enough I think one will also be confronted with the inspection issues requiring dot approved motorcycle or moped running equipment, i.e., complete lighting system, hydraulic brakes, and reflectors plastered on everything. I have two main criteria concerning my build, it is going to be very quiet and the craftsmanship is going to be as nice as I can possibly make it. If I get pulled over I want the officer to evaluate my machine as safe and evaluate me as intelligent. Hopefully it will be a warning only.

I will probably never enjoy any long rides but I will be damned if big brother tells me what I can or cannot build. I debated allot before I began my build as to whether or not to go ahead with it. Once I found out they where basically banned my mission was clear as a patriot and I have gotten nothing but support from friends and family.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
only 'legal' way in NY is to use the bikes serial number as a VIN, and go thru the hoops of getting it registered as a home built motorcycle. I think you can register it as a home built scooter which under 40 MPH IIRC doesn't require a motorcycle liscense

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
If youre using a moped and bike parts it requires no inspection and no insurance and any license will do,just a registration(make sure to have proper lights ,mirrors and stuff a moped would have. You cannot do homebuilt moped or scooter but you can do homebuilt motorcycle which requires motorcycle license,insurance and inspection,have fun with that one.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
As we were talking back at the beganning of me just joining, it did indeed take a turn for the worse. Just now we are attempting to form groups to address this on both the state and federal level of the legislature. But thats why I am some what duplicating this post. To get notice to some members that may not be subscribed to the new threads. We need you, this of my fellow New Yorkers. Illegal in ny.=====sucks Well here's where we need to address the problem of Motorized Bicycles here in New York. Plus those points I spoke of before of the Legislation I believe it leads to.
How to Comment on a Proposed Change to a DMV Regulation

This below concerning the Legislative rules of how we address it to the Law Makers, (Legislative Body, Aka: the New York State Senate).
NEW YORK STATE LOBBYING ACT

The next meeting concerning Senate Standing Committee on Transportation, March 13th, 2012, 1:00 PM, Tuesday. Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr., Chair

Senate Standing Committee on Transportation
Commitee Members: Montgomery, Dilan, Sampson, Squadron, Savino, Young, Golden, Robach, Martins, Flanagan, Gallivan, Fuschillo.

Though no doubt we won't have enough time to pull it together by this upcoming session here in New York. But an annoucement of what's up in coming is a very good Idea I believe. But inorder to do that, I need some fellow New Yorkers to step to the plate, cause we all know, one man's say so, ain't gonna do notta. I would go on to suggest that the other states bring the information together that which I have here. Once we have that in a starting range state to state. Then each group needs to vote for who will be leason from that state's group to the federal level. There in the group formed for the federal level who will act as go between to each their own states. This due to the 14th Ammendment and the point of travel on a motorized bicycle. It all does interlock just as any other vehicle!
.flg.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
I went through DMV online with a fine tooth comb. I found what I need to get my motorized bicycle registerd in New York. This even though in depth research is blocked by server errors throughout most of VAT - Vehicle and Traffic. But I sent in a Adminstration Notice through their Server email service. To the point of legally driving your Gas Motor Assisted Bicycle Instructions for Registering a Homemade Vehicle in *.PDF NY DMV Form:vs100. So ends any legality with legally driving a Motorized Assisted Bicycle in New York State. Keep all those receipts. And yes, it's a long line of red tape to follow.

Lastly, You are in process to gain a "title" for a Motorcycle! The registration process and all is like any other motor vehicle. And yes, Insurance on a Motorcycle is required. This along with a Individual's Motorcycle license. Your VIN Number will be attached to your steering neck (as they call it) on inspection and approval for title by the "Division of Field Investigation". This the way I had hoped to head since I picked out the HF 212cc for my build. Mostly just as I had done many years ago when building my own vehicles. Just different departments doing the same that had been done years ago! .

• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.flg.

wade garrett

Apr 2, 2013
ny
So there is no way to register one of these in NY? What if My friend in CT registers it, can I buy it from him and register in NY?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I live in Connecticut and have spent most of the last 6 months tooling around Long Island, NY. Connecticut does not require motorized bicycle registration; all you need is a valid Driver's License. As for NY, it's been my experience that if you drive your motorized bicycle responsibly and respectfully, cops won't bug you...at least in Suffolk County. I've had at least 3 cops stop to comment on how cool my bike was and to ask where I got it. Wear a helmet, have lights on, and drive under 25MPH on the shoulder...you should be just fine. Cops aren't stupid; if you try defrauding them with bogus VIN #s, you may just get yourself arrested for insulting their intelligence. Same thing applies for those engraved "49cc" magneto cover plates...just don't be a dick on your motorized bicycle...cops are regular guys too, and can appreciate novel mechanical conveyances.

wade garrett

Apr 2, 2013
ny
So in CT do you get a title for your motorized bicycle? I'm just trying to see if there is some loophole eg if I have a title in hand maybe I can register in NY?