2Door's Titan Trike

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Re: 2Door's Titon Trike

cvlt1Tom, I Think One Engine Would Be Enough. I Have Had It Sitting A Year, Bought New Tires For It Back Then. Now That You Are Building Yours, It Gets Me Inspired. Thats What Is Great About The Forum (monkey See, Monkey Do!! Lol) I Just Worry About The Chicks Bugging Me!! He He. I Even Bought The Staton 5/8" Id Free Wheel Adapter For It A Year Ago. I Will Use A Cvt And Run Chain To Axle With A Free Wheel. If I Remember , Each Rider Can Pedal Seperatly When They Want. And Each Drive Their Rear Wheel. I Need To Look It Over Again Tomorrow. It Would Be An Easy Build. I Bought Mine For $15 At Good Will Mission, Checked It Online = $1500. A "joy Rider". Ocala Is Around 400 Miles From Me. My Son Lives There. Looks Like You Will Have It Done Soon. Ron .

Sep 4, 2009
Texas

To keep the thing from bein a perpetual wheeley machine weld ya a small wheel protruded from the back like they do on race bikes. I don't know if you can but I'd also put the wire basket in the front too.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Got the sprockets from dax yesterday and together we came up with an idea for a quick-change gear ratio thing. I'm going to stack a couple of different size sprockets on the axle hub that is held in place with two set screws on a flat. That way I can loosen it and slide it over to select a different gear ratio. The motor mount is slotted too so I can move it to keep the chain tension right. I'm starting with a 36 and a 41T. I'll keep you posted.

Neat Times: When Duane saw the trike he said he saw one made for two riders, like yours, at the Goodwill store last summer. $49.00...Whoever bought it got a deal.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

The motor is mounted and the sprockets and chain installed. I didn't do the quick-change thing yet. I want to test it before I go to that trouble. I actually rode it the width of the garage today. Not far but at least enough to prove that it can pull me and itself. Looks like I won't have to worry about wheel stands, unless I really try and maybe do a handlebar jerk. I ordered the disc brake I'm going to use. It's an Airheart mechanical caliper with a 6" rotor. I've already made the hub for the rotor and I'll have to fabricate the caliper mount after I have it in hand. I need to run over to dax's place today and pick up a twist grip throttle/kill switch and a clutch lever that I'll use for a brake. If I use a locking clutch lever that will give me a parking brake. Neat! I'll keep you posted.
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Scary!!!!! This thing is scary:( Twist the throttle and it torques to the left, let off the power and it torques to the right. It's like a sports car with ultra sensitive steering. I think I'll add a rag joint so the left rear wheel pulls with the right one. I haven't come close to wide open throttle. By the time that Titan starts to wind up the ground is going by so fast and it feels so unstable I'm unwinding the throttle and reaching for the brakes.
I've created a monster... I've got to get a video camera. You guys won't believe this thing!
Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

LOL, Oh my God, I forgot to do the rudder dance. Been too long since I drove a tail dragger I guess. Gotta remember the ...'P Facor' Thanks for the reminder, Bob. :)
Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Unless Santa surprises me, a video camera is not in the near future but I'll get some still shots tomorrow. I rode it about 5 miles today and not once did I let it wind out. It's just too unstable. I am getting used to it and feel more comfortable but it'll take a bit before I have the nerve to twist and hold the throttle until the Titan is wound up. It feels like it wants to roll itself, and me into a ball. I don't even have a rough estimate of speed but maybe I'll pick up a speedo tomorrow and see where I'm at. This low to the ground, 15 feels like 50.
Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Took the trike out today on snow packed and icy streets around the neighborhood. I had replaced the smooth rear tires with some moderate mountain knobbys. It didn't do any good. I thought a couple of times I would have to get out and push. The rear tire would spin and not pull me and the bike even up slight inclines. Guess it's a fair weather ride. Or at least a dry street machine. Got the headlight mounted and still waiting on the disc brake setup I ordered before Christmas. Maybe it will get here this week. I'll keep you posted. Just a note: I am getting braver. On one semi-dry stretch today I twisted in some power and got quite a thrill. It's fast.
Tom