schwinn drifter?

GoldenMotor.com

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
just sold my cranbrook looking for new prodject bike,thinking abot using the drifter but wondering what obsticles i might run into.motor will be 2 stroke any input would be great.

Attachments

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I think there was an old Schwinn called a Drifter, but do you mean the new-ish one? It looks like just a regular cantilever frame with an oversized downtube and a springer.

If you are using a China Girl, you should have no problems at all. I would recommend getting an adapter for the front mount. Here is a build, but I think he drilled through the downtube for the mount: Schwinn Drifter build

Good luck!

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
no issues other then front mount used adapter that came with kit,no drill u bolt.up and running after carb tear down.found jet laying on the float put it back on,fired right up.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
It is difficult to add a front brake to a springer fork. Other than that, the Drifter will work fine. I use a front drum brake wheel with my springer fork. Some guys have adapted disk brakes to springers.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
It is difficult to add a front brake to a springer fork. Other than that, the Drifter will work fine. I use a front drum brake wheel with my springer fork. Some guys have adapted disk brakes to springers.
definatly needs front breaks but for now ill be running the coaster would also prefer rear hand break as well just in case coaster failed or chain came off. my cranbrook had rear sprocket come off wheel, leaving me with flintstone breaks.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"It is difficult to add a front brake to a springer fork."
Robbomberbom,,,,, after reading some posts on bicycle forums from riders in the UK with the same fork, I am recanting my statement shown above in quotes.
In many parts of England, you are required to have a front brake to pedal a bicycle on the street.
Therefore, they had to find ways to add front brakes to their springer forked bikes.
One way is they bolt a caliper brake through the lower part of the steer tube.
Another way is to clamp a couple of steel plates across the fork struts to make a brake bracket.
If you want a front cantilever (mountain bike, post) brake, they make adapters that will bolt onto the caliper brake hole in the bottom of the steer tube.