THUNDERDROME Oct 16th

GoldenMotor.com

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Thanks sparrow,
Redoing the math it works out to 42/45mph averages. At least off the clocks on the youtube videos.
I went & rode my bike around sunday all mad I couldn't make the race & tought it was prolly a good thing....but my speeds turn out to be competitive after all. :(
I am so looking foward to more of these events & you have my full support.
Is the track open to the public on a daily basis? or locked behind a fence.
I'll shoot you an e-mail If I make plans to run accross state for some "Drome" practice. would be cool to meet up...We need to get camlifter & his crew up here for a "superspeedway" race LOL.
A midwest series of flat track,road race,superspeedway would be a riot!
NASBIKE is born. We just need a series spocer now.

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
It's open to the public, its smack dab at the middle of a city parks Soap box derby race hill (which was used for a mountain bike portion of the Thunderdrome event, and theres a playground, although its kind of run down, but thats what this is for right? to fix up these parks that theres no budget to fix or maintain!

I'll let you all know now, that besides competing Thunderdrome race series in 2011, I'm currently working on a road race, some 120 miles.... It'll truly be an all out "cannonball run" style race, and if its as huge a success as Thunderdrome was, it'll be an annual event as well. Stay tuned for more info.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Sparrow,I had no idea it was this large of an event.The track looks awsome and just how I remember it.Please a little more advance notice for next year and the motorized bicycle bracket !!!!! GREAT Job...I am there!!

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Yep there was one a few weeks ago.I was going to go and would have been in the moped class.But had a birthday party to go to...I was bummed.It looks like a blast and the only event thats around.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
I'll do whatever I can to make sure it happens again. The pics on their website look like a riot, & that track's gotta be a blast to ride.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
just bumping this since the 2013 event is this weekend. Anyone going?
I may come on sunday. I can't race, rules are against us without a centrifugal clutch, but I just may build something for the vintage class next year. I don't see myself as being competitive in the moped class if I were to throw a centrifugal clutch on my bike, which I considered.

Really, I'd be extremely excited if we could find enough of us to make our own class for motorized bikes, and if there is enough interest I'd be willing to help however I can to make it happen. as of now I only see about 85 entries for the total of all classes together. If we could come up with 10 people, I bet we would be a crowd pleaser.

info from http://thunderdrome.com/ :
Race Classes: The nine classes are as follows:

Motard Class: The fastest, most ridiculous class we run. Momma told us not to play with dirt bikes, but did we listen? The displacement limit is 125CC for four-stroke and 90CC for two-stroke. Modifications are allowed but you must run a stock (not gutted) muffler or exhaust pipe. No nitrous, turbochargers or superchargers, you nut. Also, no motorcycles are allowed. This is only for pit bikes and mini-motards.

Minibike Class: Minibikes – commonly referred to as monkey bikes – are the conveyances of weirdos and DUI awardees. These bikes CANNOT have any sort of suspension. They must be powered by a vertical stroke, horizontal shaft single cylinder 6.5HP or 250CC (whichever comes first) Briggs and Stratton-style motor or smaller. They must have at least a rear brake or clutch brake.

Moped Class: Mopeds are, for all intents and purposes, the defining vehicle of outcasts, trailing a thick blue pall of smoke and buzzing. Mopeds, for our purposes, are small motorized vehicles that either used to have pedals or could be factory optioned for pedals and are “straddle” design similar to a Tomos Targa or Honda Hobbit as opposed to a “step-through” design as with a scooter. For this class, engine size is not to exceed 85cc in two-stroke or four-stroke. All Moped Class racers CANNOT have a clutch or gear shifter – no exceptions. Single or dual variators are fine as long as they operate automatically. Modifications are wide open except for forced induction or nitrous.

Scooter Class: Toilets, the lot of them. The scooter rules are identical to the Moped Class rules except these vehicles must be the “step-through” variety similar to a Honda Elite or Yamaha Zuma.

Go-Kart Class: The ultimate crowd pleaser and kidney shaker. These karts must be powered by the same vertical stroke, horizontal shaft single cylinder 6.5HP or 250CC (whichever comes first) Briggs and Stratton-style motor or smaller. They must have a simple can-style muffler that is functional (read: not gutted). Roll cages, push bars and gun racks must be removed.

Vintage Class: New things are stupid and these lads are happy to prove it. This class is for all pre-1982 mopeds and scooters. The catch is they must be as stock as the day they were born. The engine size limit is a strict 90cc two-stroke or four-stroke. Clutches, gears and variators are okay. If any aftermarket or replacement parts are on the vehicle, they must not contribute to making it any faster (Example: Seats are okay. Carbs and exhaust pipes are not.) No motocross, supercross or trials bikes allowed. We’ll be going over your vehicle with a fine-toothed comb and a surly old mechanic who knows everything, so don’t screw with us.

Fixed Gear Bicycle: Modern culture meets Darwinian desires. Fixed gear bicycles have a fixed rear hub and therefore are unable to coast with the pedals stationary. Suspensions are not allowed. Brakes are allowed due to the condition of the track; if you have some thick tires to put on, do it.

Mountain Bike: You had one, I had one, we all started on mountain bikes. This class actually leaves the track briefly in an exciting course change-up. Suspensions are allowed Racing will be in Devil Takes the Hindmost-style format like the other bicycle classes.

Multi-speed Bike: Dig out that Schwinn Varsity and hop on. This class is the catch-all for all road-going bicycles that have multiple speeds. Suspensions are allowed. Tandems are allowed but both seats must be operated by registered racers.

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
yep.. I have a centrifugal clutch and thought I was going to ride last year(but a party kept me away)Kinda of glad I didn't drag my bike down there to find out no gears.That might be a newer rule or I over looked it? Would like to get a class of our own and agree they would let us in the loop.Turnofftheradio are you on the eastside??

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
yep.. I have a centrifugal clutch and thought I was going to ride last year(but a party kept me away)Kinda of glad I didn't drag my bike down there to find out no gears.That might be a newer rule or I over looked it? Would like to get a class of our own and agree they would let us in the loop.Turnofftheradio are you on the eastside??
nope, I was in hazel park, but am now in Dearborn.
I didn't end up getting down there on Sunday as planned, as my basement drain had scheduled an overflow without checking my schedule.