How to get magneto magnet off?

GoldenMotor.com

fraser

Feb 11, 2012
Vancouver
Hello I have a zoombicycles 66cc 2 stroke and am not getting spark. Looking into it and discovered the magnet is off centre. 2 cutouts are not at 6 o clock and 12 o clock. Just wondering how to get the nut that holds the magnet on off. Every time I try to unscrew the shaft turns.

Thanks fraser

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's a slick tool that works great for removing the rotor (magnet).
It's sold at Ace hardware as a faucet handle puller but it works like it was made for removing the magnet on Chinese 2 strokers. The fingers are flat enough to fit behind the magnet and pulls it off without danger of damaging the crankshaft. You need to know that the crank is only a little over 5/16" diameter where the magnet rides and prying on the mag can actually bend the crank if too much force is applied unequally to a side.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=27976
Tom

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
This may not be the right way to do it, but here is what I did when I had a motor with a pull start. I stuck a flathead screwdriver between the magneto and the arm of the coil to keep the magnet in place while I turned the nut. once i got the nut off, I used a pair of channel lock pliers to remove the magnet. I dont have that motor anymore because the one way bearing on the centrifugal clutch failed.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
^What he said. There is no "right" way to do it unless the engine has a provision for it - like a hex on the end of the shaft or a hole where a bar can be inserted - nothing which this engine has.