noob cant get engine to run

GoldenMotor.com

tsr-nc

Jan 28, 2012
PDX
Hello, I bought a two stroke kit from boygofast on ebay. I replaced the carb with this one "49cc bicycle Motorized BIKE ENGINE - Racing Carburetor"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/49cc-bicycl...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5cc6f3e7. I have never gotten it running that well. It will run for a few minutes (or seconds). It seams to work best the first few times I start it then less and less. Although when I have the back wheel raised it will run a lot better. I have tried played with tunning the carb, checked the head gasket because I saw oil coming from the top head fin but I think that it was just a loose bolt. I got it running for a 3 or 4 mile run with the old carb once but never got that working again. When I try and get it started,it only fires once every sec or so. I looked at the spark plug it looked good but i don't know what i looking for. all when i opened the head shaft look good but again i don' know what i looking for.

I'm not 100% that i hooked up the carb correctly. There are 5 inlets on this carb. 1 small on top near air filter - 2 med sized in the middle of the carb - 1 small on the bottom - 1 large in front near motor. I took it apart and tried to figure it out. I hooked it up with the fuel tank to large one on the front and the small one on the bottom to the small one on the top, I believe this one is overfill/draining. The 2 in the middle i believe are just vents I attached tubbing with open ends so that rain would not get into the carb. There are 3 adjustable screws. One on the bottom i believe to be a drain valve i have it closed all the way, one on the rear (IDK what this is just have it at 1 full turn out but have tried to play with it a little half turn each direction), and an idle screw. I have the needle set to to second from the top.

vermhot

Jan 19, 2012
Wisconsin
Welcome dude !!!! I would junk them carbs you bought and just a NT!! Real easy to put on and set !!! Fool could do it !!!

tsr-nc

Jan 28, 2012
PDX
I would but it doesnt run well with stock carb eather. the reason i have the new carb is it is cold all the time here and its annoying/unsafe to fiddle with the choke when i have to peddle start it and play with the throttle, this carb has a remote choke that i can operate from the handle bar.

I have tried tunning the carb more and got it going for a 2 or 3 mile run but i think it was 2 lean because it was back firing but its to rich to run if i increase it.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
First that carburetor isn't worth much...Unless you know what you are doing adjusting it is going to be a problem. Had one (never messed with it) and couldn't wait till somebody bought it. Too many members have had problems with them.

I'll stick with a NT carburetor, and use some starting fluid. Let it warm up before going for a ride. If you can't get it running with a NT carburetor, you must have something wrong with the NT or the engine itself.

Last edited: