Float Problem, wont stop fuel

GoldenMotor.com

SlaytanicOne

Oct 27, 2011
La Quinta, Ca
When im running the engine with the fuel on after the carb fills up, gas starts leaking out the air filter and the engine bogs like its flooded. I'll then shut the fuel valve off and then it runs fine till it needs more fuel, so i turn it back on til it bogs, then shut it off again. Its the only way ive been able to ride it. Obviously the float isn't working properly. Also when i shut the engine off and leave fuel on it overflows as well. I've taken apart the carb and cant seem to find the problem. The float does seem to float cockeyed a bit. maybe there is too much fluid in my float?? Please help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If there is ANY fluid inside the float, that's your problem. It should be empty and contain only air. That's why it's called a float :)

It probably has a small crack that is allowing fuel to enter. They can be repaired with plastic cement but gasoline will attack most glues. Also adding weight to the float will effect the way it works.
Replacement floats are available from most of the vendors who advertise here. You'll need to know which carburetor you have to get the right one.

Good luck.
Tom

SlaytanicOne

Oct 27, 2011
La Quinta, Ca
Ya thanks, i just realized that after looking at pictures of floats on here that there shouldn't be any fluid in it. I'll try and fix it for temp, but then I'll try and buy one. Thanks. man.

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
thats my same problem except mine is completely airtight and ive adjusted the float down so it will run leaner (im running too rich)

problem persists, should I just break down and buy a new carb?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You may end up with the same problem that you have now it's better to learn how to fix it. Or at lest have someone who knows how to make it work right look at it. I'm almost sure your carb has a jet problem, it could be a float needle that's not seating. With out having it in my hands, online engine trouble shooting is kind of hard.
So you sending me the carb?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
When im running the engine with the fuel on after the carb fills up, gas starts leaking out the air filter and the engine bogs like its flooded. I'll then shut the fuel valve off and then it runs fine till it needs more fuel, so i turn it back on til it bogs, then shut it off again. Its the only way ive been able to ride it. Obviously the float isn't working properly. Also when i shut the engine off and leave fuel on it overflows as well. I've taken apart the carb and cant seem to find the problem. The float does seem to float cockeyed a bit. maybe there is too much fluid in my float?? Please help.
A float really doesnt work well as a float if it is taking on fuel! It should be air tight and not have ANY fuel inside it, cause it needs to float on the fuel, that's what makes it work. So it sounds like you need a new float. I guess you could try to seal it up with something, but since it is floating on gas I am not sure what you could trust to seal it up without breaking down. You dont want any kind of sealer breaking down and coming loose inside your carb, so I would suggest that you just get a new float. Look into a carb rebuild kit, they are cheap and include a new float along with all the other parts in the carb that will likely come in handy some day.