Alignment?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your eyes, and a straight edge. :)
Okay, I think I know what you're asking. The engine is the determining factor here because it really can't be moved. It is made to mount centered on the bike frame so the drive sprocket is what you want to line up with. A little misalignment is allowable but you don't want much more than a half inch (1/2") lateral misalignment. The rear wheel, sprocket, if it is the dished type and the chain tensioner can all be moved to give you the best alignment of the chain path. Spacing the rear wheel with washers is one method. Using the tensioner wheel to pull the chain over to one side or the other is another way. Some sprockets require a little attention in that the teeth are not smooth on their outer edges and can benefit from some rounding to help them grab the chain without derailing it. By that I mean you might need to file or grind the outer edges of the sprocket teeth to make them a little thinner, smoother where they engage the chain rollers. Get back to us if these suggestions do not answer your questions.
Tom