cassette lock-up

GoldenMotor.com

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
This occurred to me the other day.....I was cruising along at about 25 and began to feel a disruption on the rear wheel......then felt a crunch....all of a sudden my pedals started cranking and I sure as sh*t wasn't ready for that ....I almost broke my leg....had to ride home the rest of the way with my feet off the pedals..( about 3 miles )...the cassette had locked-up somehow.....let this be a warning to those whom have multi speed bikes....it can happen at anytime !

Be safe,
Salty.shft.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks Salty for sharing that, I think thats a great warning to everyone, Glad you were not hurt.

Do we know what caused this problem? I have only pulled one cassette apart and mine had ball bearings that would catch some teeth on the cassette when you pedaled. I am wondering if it is something that we can inspect to avoid this happening?

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Thanks Salty for sharing that, I think thats a great warning to everyone, Glad you were not hurt.

Do we know what caused this problem? I have only pulled one cassette apart and mine had ball bearings that would catch some teeth on the cassette when you pedaled. I am wondering if it is something that we can inspect to avoid this happening?
You're welcome for the share...it's the right thing to do and I'm sure others would also.....as it turns out....the ball bearing race broke.....and all those tiny bearings ( much the size of buckshot )....got caught up in the entire cassette assembly...effectively locking it up....can you imagine cruising along....all of a sudden your pedals begin cranking at 25 MPH ?.......when I pulled the cassette off all the bearings just fell out ! ( cheap Shimano )....I spent a few minutes pulling them out of my carpet ...LOL....I replaced the cassette and all is right with the world now :) ....the only thing I know to do is listen closely while you pedal....before you fire the engine up....since I'm almost deaf I was unable to tell....I did feel it begin to....just not feel right....then I felt a *crunch*....ut oh !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Last edited: