Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
A delightful explanation Allen W :D I did wonder if that strange object with the pointy end was a steam flash boiler, but if it is it's been placed in a not entirely comfortable position for the rider. Perhaps the idea was to encourage the rider to greater feats of speed in an effort to get away from the thing. :eek:
-------------------------------------
Allen,
As you show, it seems that this guy had steam-engined motorcycle powered by some small atomic-generator, using radioactive metal! (uranium?)...

Annie,
As we know each other for some 10 years, nothing strange that I the same as you thought on steam flash-boiler on that monster motorcycle... Only, it looks to me too fat? But, you are right - rider should like to run-away from his own power!

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Perhaps the idea was to encourage the rider to greater feats of speed in an effort to get away from the thing. :eek:
Ha! LOL,

Pretty sure that’s a just radiator, the cylinder appears to have a water jacket.

A similar simple box with through tubes was used by Henry Ford on his 1896 Quadricycle. No pump, hot water rose to the top and fell back when cooler. I doubt it was very effective.

-Kirk

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Hello there,
I took a look at photo again - and noticed second saddle/seat at rear, behind that frightening "boiler"! What anybody should do there? ...and, look at those serious faces!
--- ---
With my brother I had FIAT 500 Topolino at the end of sixties and it had thermosiphonic cooling: no pump, just natural circulation of hot water as you explained! But it had fan and regular radiator, so cooling was quite well when we clear radiator with sodium bicarbonate (often used at home)...
P.S.: Sorry for stealing space on your tread, SB!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Rick,
You realize I hope that you are tempting and possibly contributing to the delinquency of a geezer. That is a capital offense in some nursing homes. Luckily I am broke or would ask how much doraymi is involved. I have recently fallen prey to the temptation of a used replacement laptop and the purchase of two video cameras so anything more than a six pack of cheap beer is beyond my means for some time yet. Bought a newish 1981 Ford F-100 this summer with 26,000 miles on it so that is eating a bite out of my SS check every month. I am struggling meself over asking how much... but I will re...sist...
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, that Humber is really nice! Love looking at those DeDions, too. Thanks for sharing! Is your tri-car coming together as a plan? Have a frame picked out yet? Know what the engine will be? Will it fit through the door? I'm going to have to build a special little garage/shed for mine and the delta trike. The tri-car especially has a wide foot print.
SB

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Ha!

I’ve got enough trouble with the local city building inspector...

-Frame yes- A tall 1970’s Raleigh 10 speed, with scalloped lugs it really looks the part!

-Engine yes- 1947 Wisconsin model AK, the head is broken so I’m thinking of casting a new one that looks more turn of the century with centered radiating fins.

-Wheels yes- Husky heavy duty drop center rims, Worksman’s hub & spokes for the front (built & painted) and a large unidentified motorcycle drum brake hub for the rear (to be built)

-Seat, handlebars, leaf springs, and plenty of misc parts yes!

-Time- Not so much- Ha!

Thinking of having the entire front separate but easy to attach, so it should fit through existing doorways.

I have a really full plate already this winter and doubt I’ll get to work on it soon- :- (

But I could/should take photos of what I have done and update my thread...

-Kirk

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have some photos to share, a couple for this build and a few more for others. Over the course of this winter I intend to jump around from one project to another as I want, doing things that either particularly interest me or are suitable for indoors work in a pretty confined space in my aging trailer house (1957 Spartan Royal Manor) which is far from royalty and is the smallest manor house in the world.

I recently ran across an auction for three 1920's Indian head nickles (cost me $5.00). I don't recall how they came up but when I saw them something clicked and I saw one becoming part of my Indian Hiawatha build. On my American Flyer I had experimented with soldering a quarter with the American Eagle side facing up to a brass gas cap and it looked pretty good, so I figured I would do the same with this old Indian. On the first cap with the quarter the solder was kind of goobery around the edges of the quarter as that's how I soldered it... along the circumference.

I wanted to give this old Indian some respect and see if the solder could be hidden. First I drilled a vent hole through the gas cap, then cleaned up the brass at the center with steel wool. I cleaned up the buffaloe side of the nickle the same, then dabbed a bit of flux on each cleaned surface and heated up first the brass cap and gave it a bit of solder. Then the same to the nickle. Once I could handle it I centered the nickle on the brass cap with the Indian head facing up, so in other words there was a dab of solder on the cap and on the backside of the coin in contact with each other. Then I put the torch to the nickle and gave it heat. Once hot enough I could tell when the nickle settled down into the molten solder. Once cooled I could see there was a good bond and no solder showing. Just what I wanted. Cleaned up the flux residue with brass polish (Wizard) and I'm pleased with the results. I drilled through the nickle for the vent, continuing the whole already drilled in the brass cap. It is admittedly a small detail, but I know it's there and that's what matters most to me. This build is not just a nod to the Indian Motorcycle, but in my private thoughts is a tribute to the American Indian and in particular to Hiawatha who gave us our basic form of government which inspired our founding fathers to model our constitutional government on the Indian's Iroquois Confederacy. So anyway, this is another bit of Americana and more Indian stuff. Woohoo!

Also pictured is a new copper fuel filter (#3) which is my best one yet I think and will be used on the "kindalikeawhizzer" build.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=49177&highlight=kindalikeawhizzer

The copper filter uses fine stainless steel wool inside as the filtering medium and it utilizes water pipe fittings; two end caps and a section of 1" copper pipe. The inlet and outlet are 1/4" wee sections of copper tubing as would be used in propane lines (soft copper). A little refinement is my cutting tiny grooves into the tubing so that the rubber fuel line can better grip the copper. As fuel filters go I think this beats plastic ones by a long shot and should do a good job of keeping crap out of the carburetor. I really like this one. The main body is 4" long, but can be made to suit of course.

Last is an ugly duckling spotlight I found in a junk shop. The lens says GE on it (not made in China) and it is quite heavy. The bulb will get changed over to a 32 LED unit. The tag said it was removed from a Ford F-100 pickup, so it must be in the range of 30 some years old. Under the crud is absolutely stunning chrome with nary a pit or spot of rust. It is going to clean up beautifully and with the hardware removed and mounting holes drilled it will become a teardrop headlight for the American Deluxe Hybrid Trike... and will look fantastic, in my opinion. Four bucks made it a real find. The Harbor Freight dune buggy light I had made over for the trike will now go to the "kindalikeawhizzer".

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=47993&highlight=American+deluxe+hybrid+trike

That's it for show and tell. Other things I'm working on are a copper art deco headlight for the 34 Elgin Velocipede and I picked up some half inch conduit to make curved fender struts (is that what you call them) for the Indian Hiawatha tri-car front wheels.

Building in the hunt and peck manner keeps me interested in what I'm doing. If I have to wait for parts I can go to something else. A little of this and a little of that will help to pass the winter and bring the builds closer to being done.

My ratcheting brace arrived and I am in the process of grinding a ratchet extension to fit the brace. I tried it today on the engine and it will make a dandy hand crank engine starter for the Velocipede. Pretty cool!.
SB

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have one of these waiting to be fitted to the eventual Mk2 Cooper & Ludwig. Halogen is old hat these days, but it will get the bike through a Ministry test.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have one of these waiting to be fitted to the eventual Mk2 Cooper & Ludwig. Halogen is old hat these days, but it will get the bike through a Ministry test.

That is the exact dune buggy light sold over here through Harbor
freight for an incredible $12.00. I modify them with 32 LED lights from a $5.00 flashlight also from Harbor Freight. A pair of them are going on the Indian Tri-car and I've used others with the post hardware removed and mounting holes drilled into the sides for fitting between the ears of a triple tree fork. That headlight is a nice one for the money. Pretty good chrome and a nice big honker. Motorcycle sized.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you Annie & Dan.

Ludwig, I believe in the American Deluxe hybrid trike thread there is a how to link for modifying the Harbor Freight light. Early on in the thread if I remember right. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Excellent. I will look tomorrow. Right now, I am wrestling with a rather excellent and cheap South African Pinotage.