CDI Spark Plug connector problem

GoldenMotor.com

sergman89

Jul 7, 2012
SC
I broke the connector to my spark plug long story short..

First the spark plug connector worked fine then if you look at the spark plug picture that piece of metal that (I assume) transfers the spark stayed on the spark plug but wasnt attached to the .. adapter, connector thing. I took a pic of that as well.

I tried getting it back into it then I decided to try hammering it onto the spark plug and the connector/adapter cracked and broke

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/mb2qh.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/256/mb1xb.jpg/

sergman89

Jul 7, 2012
SC
Lmao I didnt finish my question, sorry.

Whats a good fix for this? Electrical tape, zipties, anything untill my new cdi comes in?

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I stripped the insulation from the plug wire and put an alligator clip while I wait. Had some leftover rubber hose that slipped over the clip to where you couldn't tell.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
try stuffing some aluminum foil in there to make the contact, then secure it on there with a zip tie. It looks like you don't need a whole CDI unit, just the end. you can get that at an autoparts store. The spark plug wire along with the snap on that attaches to the plug is replaceable. I run an automotive one on mine.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Take the little black square CDI box off of your frame and look under it. You will see what I mean.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
I think any of them will work, just take your busted one into a friendly auto parts store, they might have one that will work that got orphaned from a kit or something. Or just buy a a new set for your car and use the old ones to build one for your bike. Generally, they don't sell wires separate, but there are lots of different ways to crack this egg.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Just go to the auto parts store and ask to see their selection of single plug wires. They usually have a decent amount to choose from and might have them behind the counter. You just need to make sure the wire is the same diameter as the original wire on your CDI and has a right angle boot that goes on a spark plug. I ended up choosing a 4 Ft coil wire that had a right angle boot on each end, I cut it in half and had an excellent plug wire for two CDI's...
To remove the old wire twist it as if you were unscrewing a screw, hopefully it will screw out. If it is glued in (some are, some aren't) it may break off. If it breaks just dig out the old rubber and glue with some small tools, knife, nail, etc until the wood screw inside there is completely exposed and the hole is open enough to screw your new wire in. Then take your new wire, cut a clean cross section and put some silicone around the outside of the wire (making sure not to get silicon on the conductor), then thread the wire down onto the screw making sure the conductor threads directly onto the screw. Coat the outside with some more silicone to adhere the wire to the CDI and let dry. Done.
Just take the plunge and do it, the kit plug wire and boot are garbage and WILL fail on you...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just keep in mind that the wire you get from most auto parts stores today is resistance wire. It will not have a metal conductor but instead a carbon impregnated string. They'll work but just so you know and don't keep cutting off the insulation looking for wire inside.

I prefer a copper conductor. Metal core wire is getting harder to find but it is still out there. You just have to look and ask for it. Motorcycle and lawn mower shops would be your best bet or an older auto parts store that might have new/old stock.

Tom