SBP Jackshaft keeping the chainguard?

GoldenMotor.com

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have a cruiser that I've fitted with the Jackshaft kit from SBP, and I'm concerned that the original chainguard that came with the bike doesn't fit with the right side chain coming down off the shaft. I think maybe I could grind it down on top and make it fit, but on the other hand, with the HD Crankshaft being larger and wider it still won't fit, plus the chainring is wider too, I think what I need is a larger chainguard that is cut on the top to allow for the chain coming down from the shaft. Are there sources for custom aftermarket chainguards for bicycles or do I just need to search and hope? I think the chainguard asthetically did a lot for the bike, and the bike is far from ugly without it but it would add alot to keep it.
BC-706M-21_Army_Green_7speed_1.jpg
Heres' an image of the bike in it's original form, without motor or jackshaft or anything else I've done to it to give you an idea of what I mean. Has anyone else been able to fit a chainguard on a bike with a SPP Jackshaft kit?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If you alter the chainguard's mounts to allow for the extra clearance needed (and cut the top to let the chain pass ofc) you should be able to make it work, it'd only need to come out & up a little...

I'd suggest lining up the chainguard where you want it & making your cut a little smaller than needed for letting the jackshaft chain through, then making the new mounts. While the chain will prolly hit when it's first mounted - you can then widen the cut only where it's needed. The only foreseeable issue is by removing a section from the top of the guard you may weaken it and it may be prone to bending/flexing... it depends on the size of the cuts & type of guard.

I've done something similar... tho the chainguard I used was more of a full cover & out of a pile of random bike parts;

Last edited: