Remember the card in your spokes?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
HAR! lol. that is cool Vista.

Big time Deacon. Would be funny on a Ebike.

The unicycle at the end, 2 funny!

I wish I knew a kid to get one for. ('cause all my bikes have engines or I would buy me one)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Kinda dumb story but a couple-afew years back I made some dumb, nostalgic joke about base ball cards in the spokes when we were kids. One of our Canadian Brethren explained to me that up his way, it was hockey cards.

Sort of a "we went to different schools together" sort of thing and MBs are every kids dream.

Think about it. The inventor of this grew up and not only designed a BB card loud speaker. He/she had a plastic mold made and is selling it. Big bucks. Not to mention all the time it takes to write a biz plan+ all the leg work. People are crazy and we are just some of them. ....and kinda cool, eh?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Would you believe I actually "blew a motor" with one of those card set-ups, and blew a tire too? (Only me.) I was a kid, and I had an orange stingray (I hope my parents saved it). I wanted that motocycle sound, so I got a playing card and a clothespin that I smuggled away from my grandmother's house. She used the really long handled kind. I was riding around, buzzing like a nest of hornets, when it happened!

I can only guess that the spring on the clothespin might have been wimpy, but somehow (about the time it stopped buzzing) it must have swivelled around far enough that the one wood handle stabbed my tire and gave me a blow-out. Technically it dislodged the tire enough to stab the inner-tube. I knew I had it stuck on there close to the rim, but I never would have dreamed it would be able to do that. Live and learn, I guess. I had a new tube on in no time and rode around for a few years after that rather quietly.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I did that trip as a kid, but went further then- with a commercial product-

It was a little plastic thing from Guaranty Auto- and screwed on just like the clothes pin, but had a plastic piece instead of the card- but no huge plastic pipe-

that was about 50 years ago- and probably cost 59 cents.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Kat. Wish there were pictures. But know that far back, there aren't any. Bummer.

(but if'n there is, please post)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you listened to the first few words the man said, "a variation on a classic idea".
That concept is not new. I had a very similiar device when I was about eight or nine, (and that was a few moons ago). It was an aluminum tube about two inches in diameter and maybe 18 inches long, that clamped to the chain stay and had a plastic flapper like thing that stuck into the spokes. The spokes would open and close the flapper with the help from a spring. When the flapper hit the closed position it made a 'POP' sound that was amplified by the tube. You could turn the sound on or off by rotating the head so the flapper missed the spokes or stuck into them. This had to be in the early 50s.

LOL, just thought about this: What if you were missing a spoke or two. Would it sound like your engine was misfiring?
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"It's got a good beat and you can dance to it"

LOL, gonna get one for one of Carol's bikes. For a while, I was buying vintage road bikes. Scored some great ones. Only to be met with; "Thats to pretty to put a motor on" SO SHE CONFISCATED A BUNCH! LOL

Funny side note. Carols bike was stolen and looking on line for one, found "here" and you folks.