magneto trouble PLEASE HELP

GoldenMotor.com

thatyoder

Apr 26, 2012
PA
hi, i was cruisin along an my engine started bogging an already knew it was my mag cuz i had this type of problem before. im using the bpr6hix iridium spark plug and a jaguar cdi. wen i hav that bogging problem i always try switching cdi's cuz sometimes the wires come loose on the jaguar. i just went through 3 mags in a matter of 2 days. all the wires are connected rite and i dont have a kill switch hooked up. could it be the magnet? im really stumped here and have no clue wats goin on. PLEASE HELP!! and when i said boggin problem i mean the bike will die and not start back up. and i also make sure that the white wire is nowhere near anything and covered good.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
do you have a gasket on your mag cover? i blew two coils riding without a gasket cause the one that came on the engine didnt fit right. finally got some red hi-temp rtv and put it on the mag cover, no more problems.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
3 mags in 2 days? You obviously have other problems somewhere.

Have you considered going back to stock parts? (cheap, easy to replace)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't care much for those Jaguar CDIs... I tried them (& wasn't impressed), & switched back to the stock black box.

Until MSD comes out with a system for these engines, I'll stick with the stock box! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
could it be the magnet? im really stumped here and have no clue wats goin on.
You have other problems other then the magnet. I have never seen a magnet in any engine go bad...I really don't think it can under normal circumstances. Take a screwdriver and touch the magnet. Ensure your woodruff key is good. I only use the "stock" or direct replacement stock parts. I not only isolate the white wire, I remove it totally. Check all connections, and make sure they have good contact.

Last edited:

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Make sure the laminate has a good conection 2 motor then put a multimeter set to AC~200 volts across blue & black wires to check. Magneto stator coils dont go out that easily. Epoxy seal a good 1 to keep from having problems with moisture. I think u'll either find its something else or something is causing them 2 die, they dont just die. Cheers

thatyoder

Apr 26, 2012
PA
3 mags in 2 days? You obviously have other problems somewhere.

Have you considered going back to stock parts? (cheap, easy to replace)
yes i hav considered that. the jaguar is not all that its posted up to be. the wires will keep coming off inside the box and i just ordered a dif wire for the stock box so that shuld do me good

thatyoder

Apr 26, 2012
PA
do you have a gasket on your mag cover? i blew two coils riding without a gasket cause the one that came on the engine didnt fit right. finally got some red hi-temp rtv and put it on the mag cover, no more problems.
ya i got one on there. i also hav a very high temp tape wrapped around it so nothing can get in there. i took off the clutch cover an noticed sum grease build up and wondered if that was getting in the mag cover before i did all that stuff.

thatyoder

Apr 26, 2012
PA
I don't care much for those Jaguar CDIs... I tried them (& wasn't impressed), & switched back to the stock black box.

Until MSD comes out with a system for these engines, I'll stick with the stock box! :rolleyes:
i agree. im not impressed with them either. all u really need to do is get a good wire an coil to replace the stock and it runs just as good if not better than the jaguar

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
The small wire from the magneto coil to the armature on my GT5 keeps breaking. I've soldered it back together only to have it break again after a few hundred miles. The 3rd magneto is on order. I noticed that when the wire is broken, the coil can move slightly, which ( to me ) could vibrate the wire and cause it to break. Until the new magneto arrives, I've JB welded the coil ends, re-soldered the connection, and will try that. Does anyone have the same problem, or a good solution, or better quality magneto?

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
The problem is a "cold" solder join caused by the laminate core having not been hot enough during soldering. The solder has made a mechanical but not a good electrical joint 2 it. U will need a decent wattage soldering iron 2 redo it, a small iron just wont get the laminate hot enough. The resin core in the solder is a cleaning & wetting agent but needs both pieces being soldered 2 be at the correct temp for it 2 do its job. Make sure u dont over heat it as well. At the right temp u will c the solder flow evenly onto the laminate. Cheers

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
The small wire from the magneto coil to the armature on my GT5 keeps breaking. I've soldered it back together only to have it break again after a few hundred miles. The 3rd magneto is on order. I noticed that when the wire is broken, the coil can move slightly, which ( to me ) could vibrate the wire and cause it to break. Until the new magneto arrives, I've JB welded the coil ends, re-soldered the connection, and will try that. Does anyone have the same problem, or a good solution, or better quality magneto?
Solder a small wire to it to lengthen, use a terminal (optional), and secure under the coil mounting screw. If no terminal is used, tint the end of the wires together, and wrap around the screw. No more worries about a cold solder joint.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Since I JB welded my magneto coil, I've not had a problem with the soldered connection. Al Fisherman, Thanks for the connection modification idea. I think if I have any more problems with this, that will be the next thing to do. It makes sense! I've only put a couple of hundred miles on the bike since the fix, and I'll have to update after more mileage.