My second bike: Old Magna/Random parts thing.

GoldenMotor.com

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
So I finally got a pic of my second bike. The frame at least is an old magna mountain bike. I bought the thing for $20 from a guy on craigslist. It was a basket case, and built from various random bits. The forks weren't even installed properly. So I found a local bike shop called Pedals2People. They rent shop time for $5 an hour, or I can get a one year membership. They actually teach people how to do the work on their own bikes, and sell all kinds of used parts for really cheap.

So with their help, I installed the forks properly, rebuilt the hub for the back wheel (the wheels aren't original in the pic, which were bent and heavy), added different handle bars and a taller handlebar stem, and I had to fix the front brakes. The back brakes were originally cantilever and I replaced them with v brakes to match the front. It still needs a new rear derailleur since the one it has only goes through 5 of my 7 gears. Oh yea, that back tire, I bought it for $7 used, with all it's tread. The tire is $40 new :).

The motor kit is the one from my first bike. Everything fit on the frame fine, accept I needed a large frame adapter. I didn't feel like waiting for shipping on one, so I made my own. I used a 1 3/4" muffler clamp and a steel plate that came from a cheap and useless brake caliper spreader for a car, then padded it with my favorite frame padding: Leather :). I also managed to get away without using the chain tensioner, but I had to take out a small bit that hold the derailleur in place when the wheel is off, so changing the back tire will be a pain, but I can deal with that. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
Too bad they're only open a few hours on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The people there are pretty cool though, helped me alot. I need to head back in there so I can redo the bearings in the front wheel now. The wheels on it are from my first bike, and now have over 1250 miles on them. Now that I think about it, the front tire is also the original from my first bike, and after that many miles is still running strong. Too bad the matching back tire got mangled by a 3 inch long screw :).