Would this work?

GoldenMotor.com

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
Picking up most of the major items for a new build. One is a Shimano XT disc hub for the front wheel (original) on my Dyno Glide. Trying to educate myself as I want to lace it up myself, if possible. Can I use the original spokes in a X3 and trim them down? Is there sufficient thread? Or would the originals fit a X4 lace?

I am a bit confused after reading all the spoke threads as to how to figure this out without an engineering degree. Should the original spoke length not work at all, would these work?

For crusing around, will the original rims be ok? I know the value in some quality double wall rims and may likely upgrade next year and include SS spokes at that time.

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
without having the wheel in front of me, my answer is "probably." :)

i've laced drum hubs with higher flanges into wheels that had smler flanged hubs before.

usually the spoke length isn't much different. going from a 3x to a 4x pattern usually takes care of the exvess length, and grinding the tips down is pretty common in any wheel build. never had a problem with thread length.

it's better to have the spoke ends long enough to be flush with the end of the nipple,anyway. most breakage occurs at the nipple flange when the spokes are a little short

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
Thanks, Bairdco, for the insight.

I plan to give this a go come Monday or Tuesday next week after the new hub arrives. Hopefully this first lace won't take more than 4-5 beers to complete.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Once you try it, you will wonder why you didn't lace your own wheels years ago!
Best bicycle skill I ever learned was building wheels. I have saved literally thousands of dollars in my lifetime truing my own rims and made quite a bit doing wheels for others too!