Band brake to disc??

GoldenMotor.com

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
Anybody know if there is an adapter or something to change the band brake on a heavy duty hub to a disc?,as this one i got is not very good at all and one screw is missing as well, even had to put a side pull on back to help with braking .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Front or rear? Either way you'll need a hub made to mount a rotor and caliper brackets for the fork/frame. There isn't any direct replacement adapter to easily change from band to disc brakes without some fabrication and the proper hub.

Tom

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
its the rear ,so you will still need a proper hub then ?? i was hoping that there would be something as it would be cheaper ,as the hub is the most expensive thing to get then got toget rim laced etc if theirs nothing i can do i might just take it off and use 2 side pull brakes front and back they work good at the moment .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When you get a chance take a close look at a bike that has disc brakes, especially the hubs. You'll see how the rotor mounts to the hub, typically with six screws. The hub has a flange on one side where the brakes mount.

I've often wondered why someone doesn't make a clamp on disc brake hub adapter like the ones made for mounting a sprocket. Seems like a simple adaptation of the same concept to me. I would assume that the huge variety of hub sizes out there would be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Tom

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
When you get a chance take a close look at a bike that has disc brakes, especially the hubs. You'll see how the rotor mounts to the hub, typically with six screws. The hub has a flange on one side where the brakes mount.

I've often wondered why someone doesn't make a clamp on disc brake hub adapter like the ones made for mounting a sprocket. Seems like a simple adaptation of the same concept to me. I would assume that the huge variety of hub sizes out there would be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Tom
HI,

There is a clamp on adapter of sorts to accomplish the above but it is a 2 step process....

First, a person would need a Manic Mechanic or Pirate Cycles hub adapter (or similar type adapter).

Next, a Sombrero Adapter (like a Top Hat Sprocket adapter only bigger) would be bolted to the above mentioned adapters.

Then a Sombrero sprocket (complete w/ standoff for 6 hole iso disc rotor mount) would be bolted to the Sombrero Adapter itself).

In essence (for rear use at least) a person can have a disc brake rear with a coaster brake as a back up PLUS a precision hard mount for an engine driven sprocket....

I suppose, for non engine use, the Sombrero Adapter could be modified or made to provide the mounting points for the disc rotor itself without need for the special Sombrero Sprocket for the engine to drive but ,since this is a motorized bike forum, most people would be adding the engine too!

Hope this helps.

Andrew

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Is your rear HD hub the one gasbike sells? If so it has threads for sprockets on both sides and another larger thread on the left for the band brake, just a disc adapter that screws on to it is all you need for the HD hub, the hard part will be mounting the caliper part to your bike.

You do know that those band brakes are adjustable right?
There are a couple of screws on the other shell that kind of center and the band so it is the same distance from the drum all the way around so when pulled the whole band grabs the drum.

I like the band brakes when they adjust right and if that is new hub that is all you need to do, check Grubees site for adjusting instructions.

Last edited: