Announcing the Howard Sprocket Mount!

GoldenMotor.com

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
The Sarge is checking into what it would take for his CNC guy to make different sizes on a run of hubs. I think they are still working out the details. We'll see what the future holds.
Isn't a 32 spoke wheel a standard spoke pattern? Measure your hub, and if it measures 1.523" then yer good for a Howard mount.
fatdaddy.[/QUOT
I know most other hub mounts that are like that one, are only made for the 36 spokes.

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
How will you mount a 9 hole cog on a 32 spoke wheel?
They don't fit well on there. Three of the holes hits spokes. On two of them, I put thinner bolts. The other one, I left alone. Because the spoke went right threw the middle. But I could of drilled a bigger hole. It's still holds on strong and it doesn't come loose.
In the future, I do want a nice hub.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
How will you mount a 9 hole cog on a 32 spoke wheel?
Yer right, I got it wrong and thought a 32 spoke was standard. A 36 spoke is standard.
Anyway, I believe what I did on a 32 spoke was to go two bolts, skip one, two bolts, skip one, ect.. As I recall it was still a little tight but it worked. This way ya get six bolts in that are evenly spaced. Of course I was doing this on a rag joint so I could play with it some. On a solid mount it might be more difficult but can't say fer sure, never tried one yet.
Big Red.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I see how that could work, re 2 bolts and skip one. If you use the howard clamshell, with a rubber donut to pad the spokes, and loctite on the bolts, I don't see how it could hurt the spokes, since it won't really be a rag-joint then, if the bolts on the clamshell hold it centered.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Well cool i will definately support you for one at least on an upcoming build!

Bookmarking/following this thread!

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Everyone- Rumors of my death are slightly exagerated. Monday last I had hernia surgery (courtesy of your federal dollars)- today is the first day I've had a bowel movement worthy of mentioning. Yea you young sprats- look what YOU get to look forward to! My block & tackle look like I've been riding the wrong end of a jackhammer without saddle! I've got bruises where NO MAN should have bruises! OWCH!!!
And no... not the result of some "Evil Knievel" stunt- old age will bite ya every chance it gets. Had I known I would live this long, I woulda' taken better care of myself....
32 spoke wheel? Never seen one, my design is based on the 9 hole sprocket. The next batch will run 1/4"x coarse thread so that hardened bolts can be susbstituted, cheaper and stronger than metric (in this country anyways). Regarding the 'million spokes' wheel, I agree- drilling the flange makes perfect sense, just make sure you know where the holes go and all that. Happy cheapskate had a Schwinn hub re-laced with heavy spokes- THAT required re-milling the mount. I had not realised that the Huffy hub is much wider between the spoke rims than most other coaster hubs (which makes for a stronger wheel- one more argument for the Huffmann product). Do understand, I am learning as I go- that it works with Schwinn with STOCK spokes is a bit of luck- I need to modify the design to make a seperate Schwinn friendly mount.
What I need from Y'ALL right now is a listing of OTHER bikes that you want to see this thing on- once I get this configured, I will put it to a vote. After that, I will follow the numbers insofar as next design production goes. I see a situation where the more popular bikes will get 'off the shelf' componants- I will also standardise my prototyping technique such that a custom 'one-off' mount can be had for less than $200- it can be done. I know that sounds pricey, but there I am charging a bit over minimum wage for my labor on a 'crank&dial' mill and lath... C-N-C work is cheaper ONCE YOU WRITE THE PROGRAM!!! The program itself is a $1k investment or more.
As always, my designs are
1) over engineered
2) guarenteed to deliver perfect service
3) configured for the average wrench monkey to apply by following the instructions. If you know how to work a socket wrench and feeler guage, you should do just fine.
Yes, there are other mounts on the market. They have their advantages and their adherants. I simply wanted a sturdy, fool-proof hubmount for a monospeed cruiser- it is my beliefe that I have achieved my goal.
No, there is not a 'Howard Hubmount' website... yet... when such a thing occurs, there will be more merchandise beyond hubmounts, beyond motorbikes. 1/6 scale militaria, 'G' gauge outdoor railroading as well as interstate gunsmithing... I will probably wait until the current administration is out of office before I go get an FFL, I don't trust them at all... and Lord knows what other absurdities will catch my fancy. Untill then, thank you for your support-usflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Welcome back Sarge, hope yer feeling better.
I've only seen a couple 32 spoke wheels and don't remember what they were on. a 9 hole pattern will not fit on it. Like Hoze513 went through, Three of the bolts wont go through. I installed one by using the three piece backing plate's and putting the bolts at the ends of the plates. This way you wind up with two bolts, skip one hole, then two bolts, skip one hole, and the same on the last. This distributes the bolt pattern evenly and still looks OK.
Once your production gets running good, perhaps you could check into making a six hole pattern for the 32 spoke wheel that might come up ocasionally. It might be another "OCC Chopper" thing where it just wouldn't be cost effective, or not fit right, or ect, ect. Just a thought anyway.
Again, Hope you're feeling better, We kinda need you around to help keep all those young whippersnappers in line.
GETTING OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES.
Big Red.

mesmith

Jun 30, 2011
United States
I am interested in purchasing one of these for my Huffy Good Vibrations bicycle. Do you take Paypal yet?. If not, how much are you asking and let me know who to make check out to and where to mail it please,
Michael E. Smith
[email protected]
Thank You

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
I have only seen pictures of these for a 32 spoke wheel hub. Instead of 3 bolts going threw your spokes. The ones I have seen for 32, have 4 bolts going threw the spokes. And also your wheel hub, has to be the flat kind. Not the angle kind, for it to work. Also I have seen on MM web site, that he use to costum make them for 32 spoke wheels. If you sent him the size of your hub. But from what I have heard, that he is NOT doing this no more. I wish someone eles starts doing this.