First time building.

GoldenMotor.com

robdawgg

Jul 29, 2013
illinois
Hey guys, im Roberto from illinois. Ive got my bike built completely right. One problem though. It starts up a little rough but after it starts and i twist on the throttle, and it just gets a little louder with no acceleration. any help would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Assuming that you have a 2-stroke engine?, Is the clutch cable a little too tight (& causing the clutch to slip)?

You didn't do anything crazy like adding grease to the gears under the right hand side clutch cover?, did you???

robdawgg

Jul 29, 2013
illinois
Thanks for answering me. And yes it is a two stroke and no the clutch cable isn't to tight. No I have not put any grease

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the motor goes faster, but the bike doesn't, that means the clutch needs adjusting

robdawgg

Jul 29, 2013
illinois
Could it be my gas/oil mixture is to rich? Cause it seems to have happened when I filled up and didn't measure just poured some 2stroke in?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that often causes problems - one should always mix gas & oil in a can and shake it well before putting it in the tank - you might have all the oil in the bottom of the tank and none in the engine, or maybe all the oil in the carb bowl and no gas

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We always recommend that you mix your fuel and oil in a seperate container. There's too much chance of the oil settling to the bottom and as Crassius said, going right to the carburetor.

Also by just pouring some oil in the tank you really have no idea what your ratio is. Too much oil will seriously effect the way the engine runs and too little will damage things.
Measure it out and shoot for a 24:1 to a 32:1 mix.

Your engine's performance will increase with milage. 200 to 300 miles is generally what we recommend before you can expect top performance. Give it a chance but also make sure your throttle is working correctly. Is the carburetor barrel, or slide lifting completely when you twist the throttle? Is there too much slack in the throttle cable? Is the choke off (open)?

Tom

robdawgg

Jul 29, 2013
illinois
Oh no I did mix it in a can before I put it in the tank just didn't measure it. Yes the barrel is sliding up completely and there was little slack, the choke is id say half open.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
it *should* run with choke completely open - if opening the choke all the way once it starts makes it die, then I'd look for an air leak

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
No doubt crassius is pointing you in a good direction. An air leak, likely at the carburetor intake, is something worth looking for. I've never experienced it. But I'm told that it'll give a 2 stroke engine a quick death.

And if your engine is revving up but your bike is not speeding up, then you are going to want to have a look at that clutch.

good luck with it.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I had a similar problem with my first bike, it turned out the bevel gears key had been pushed back when they were putting the gear on so it just spun.