Having problems getting my 49cc HS to 'mesh' with the chain

GoldenMotor.com

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Has anyone else had this problem? Im running a HuaSheng 49cc motor with the centrifugal clutch (typical kit motor) that I got from Bikeberry and a Sick Bike Parts jackshaft. Everything looked good and lines up nicely, but when i try to rotate any of the sprockets, the chain just seems to bind up and either won't fall into the teeth, or if it does manage to grab a tooth, it gets jammed in there and won't come out. I haven't tried to run the motor yet. I was looking forward to firing it up and riding it this week. I've tried lubing the chain, and have tried more tension, less tension, neither seem to work. Are the HS drive sprockets cut weird or something? Any help with this would be great.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Has anyone else had this problem? Im running a HuaSheng 49cc motor with the centrifugal clutch (typical kit motor) that I got from Bikeberry and a Sick Bike Parts jackshaft. Everything looked good and lines up nicely, but when i try to rotate any of the sprockets, the chain just seems to bind up and either won't fall into the teeth, or if it does manage to grab a tooth, it gets jammed in there and won't come out. I haven't tried to run the motor yet. I was looking forward to firing it up and riding it this week. I've tried lubing the chain, and have tried more tension, less tension, neither seem to work. Are the HS drive sprockets cut weird or something? Any help with this would be great.
Sounds like your chain is too small for your sprockets (too thin)
Move up a size on the chain and you should be golden

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Its the chain that came with the motor kit, seems like it should work, but I guess not! Do you know where to get a thicker chain? Gokart store?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Take your sprocket or wheel with you to the hardware store and find a chain that fits properly. I buy #40 roller chain in 10 foot boxes for under $20 bucks.
Never assume because it was in the box that it's the right part. These things happen sometimes.
I would suggest contacting bikeberry for a replacement but I doubt they will help from what I've heard in here about the customer servive they provide (not provide)
Still, bikeberry is worth a shot. SBP is much more likely to be helpful with your issue.

Jeff d

Apr 2, 2013
Louisiana
I'm fighting similar issues with a recent Spooky Tooth kit (Which other forum members have mentioned was bought out by BikeBerry and the kits are the same). I've been trying to get the alignment dead on with the included 415 chain but it I can't get it to roll smoothly no matter what. My alignment is still off by about 3/16" but I've maxed out the adjustment in the bracket to the right side and can't go any further.

This "Kit" is driving me absolutely nuts, mainly the engine bracket which looks like it was fabricated by a 5th grader. The front and rear were misaligned by about 3/16" causing my initial alignment to be off by about 1/2". I dremeled the offending holes and got it down to 3/16" but I'm just out of bracket now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they sent the wrong chain with a number of kits based on how the rest of it is.

What's the acceptable amount of misalignment? How much larger is a #41 chain vs 415? Would Tractor Supply likely have #41? Edit: Looks like they do carry it:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/roller-chain-size-41?cm_vc=-10005

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff d

Apr 2, 2013
Louisiana
I picked up a #41 chain and it is a little bit lighter duty than the included 415h but the rollers are a decent amount wider. I put it on and it's rolling pretty smooth now. I need to get the gas tank mounted before I can see how it rides under engine power.