Jackshaft sprockets set screws not holding sprockets?

GoldenMotor.com

SubieGuy

Sep 3, 2012
Canada
Hey I just had a quick question. What can you do to make sure the set screws hold the sprockets on the jackshaft securely?

Whenever I ride for more than a couple miles, the sprockets (mainly the engine output side) don't stay tight on the jackshaft; they are easily moved by hand.

Do I need to file grooves where the set screws make contact?

Thanks!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm guessing this is for a shift kit? I don't own a shift kit personally, but have skimmed through the installation manual, and I do seem to remember them stating that grooves need to be filed.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
for transmitting power you really should have a splined shaft or at least a keyway...
but if all you can do is file a flat on the shaft, get a better grade set screw, then use some thread lock on it.

have fun!
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There are set screws that have a pointed end that will secure better than the flat ones but flats on the shaft is still the way to go. Trying to hand make a keyway would be a challenge but a keyed shaft and sprocket would be the best way. You'd need to take the shaft and sprockets to a machine shop to have that done properly.

Tom

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Hey Subie, try staton-inc.com. They have shafts,sprockets,keys,and pretty much anything else you could need. AND their cheaper than anyone else. Check it out.

SubieGuy

Sep 3, 2012
Canada
Hey Subie, try staton-inc.com. They have shafts,sprockets,keys,and pretty much anything else you could need. AND their cheaper than anyone else. Check it out.

Thanks for the link. Filing flat spots tomorrow! If that doesn't hold up I'll check out what they have

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I found I had best results on a jack shaft equipped Honda 500 powered go kart when I filed flats and also replaced the setscrews with actual bolts for better holding power. I ground a point on the bolts and used loctite. This solved the issue for me.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That's one the reasons I like staton. They manufacture socket head cap screws just for that.

Last edited: