New Lifan 152F-3Q from Home Depot

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A lot of people don't realize you can haggle over the prices at a lot of places. Before Christmas a friend ask me if I would go with him to china depot because he wanted me to lug a barbecue grill home for him in my truck he wanted to buy as a present for his room mate. It was marked $300. They had some on display, and some unassembled in boxes.

He ask the manager if he would sell him one in the box for $250 since he would have to assemble it himself, and they did it. $50 off just like that.

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
I work for Home Depot. Every employee in the building has the authority to markdown up to $50 when the reasons are right. Some of the newbies are too scared to do it and let management make the call. I'm really good with it when the reasons are just. But if they aren't, it's not happening.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
It looks to me like we've got another engine choice, and its got a verticle cylinder. It should look better naked than the "slant backs". Can't wait to see one stripped down.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I did a little stripping last night to see what is underneath. Looks like there will need to be a custom exhaust due to the side exit. Not sure about the carburetor situation either. I don't have enough experience with these small engines to know what will, or will not, work. Anyway, here are some photos. I have more if you want to see something specific.

I'm starting to have doubts about using this engine mainly due to the amount of customization that might be involved. I have neither the skill, or tools that might be needed to do this. Any thoughts as to what I may be looking at to do it?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Not sure about this particular motor, but I know the 97cc on the Baja Doodlebug DB30 has a different bolt pattern than the Preddies/Briggs/etc do. The mini bike peeps swap them out with Preddy 212s all the time and either drill new holes in the mount plate or use adapter plates.

Hopefully the carb on this motor is better than the one on the DB30, those carbs are junk. A lot of them cannot be run with the choke fully off unless modified, I had one like that for about a day before flipping it on Craigslist. The motor was gutless on takeoff but actually hauled my 200 lb. butt around the neighborhood for about an hour, LOL. Those DB30s hit mid 20s stock. With better gearing, tuned carb, and governorectomy I could see one making mid 30s pretty easily on an MB.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
The carburetor uses a butterfly for the throttle. Don't know if those work well or not. I can get some detailed photos if need be.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Carb doesn't look like it'd be an issue. Lots of ways to approach the intake if the stock carb is Nfg.
Exhaust could be done with an adapter to bolt on Whizzer exhaust manifolds. That would also allow the use of all the different Whizzer exhaust pipe/muffler packages as well.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Carb doesn't look like it'd be an issue. Lots of ways to approach the intake if the stock carb is Nfg.
Exhaust could be done with an adapter to bolt on Whizzer exhaust manifolds. That would also allow the use of all the different Whizzer exhaust pipe/muffler packages as well.
Thanks Greybeard, I'll see what the Whizzer site might offer. I'll post some close-ups of the carb shortly.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Here is a photo of some kind of shaft connected to the throttle system. I'm wondering if it might be connected to a governor setup?

Here are photos of the carburetor.

The first is the bottom.

Next is the butterfly throttle from the engine side.

Next is the choke butterfly from the air filter side.

And last is a top view showing the choke arm, the built-in petcock arm and the throttle connection.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Yup, looks like the same carb on the DB30 mini bikes. You might get lucky and have one of the "good ones", but if the tales from oldminibikes.com are to be believed, there are no good ones, LOL. Always worth a shot, though!

The older version of that carb had an adjustable mixture screw, but the newer versions do not. But like Grey said, even if the carb is no good there are tons of ways around it, so no worries :)

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
... shaft connected to the throttle system. I'm wondering if it might be connected to a governor setup?
Yes

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/doodlebug-minibikes/40592-adjusting-governor-speed.html

"The spring that runs between the two linkages has 3 holes on the left shaft and two holes on the right that it can be put in thereby giving a total of 6 different settings that it has. Move the spring to a higher hole and the governor will set to a faster RPM-move it to a lower hole and it will set to a lower RPM. "

Attachments