4 stroke, no pedals! 1967 Honda CT90

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
about a month ago i picked up a pair of 1967 Honda CT90's from the long beach MC swapmeet. got them both for 350 bucks.

one of them was mostly complete, and they both had seized engines from sitting so long.

they've got cast iron heads, so basically the rings rust and get stuck. not really a big deal, just dump some oil down the top and you can bang them loose.

spent yesterday and today working on the mostly complete one, and after buying a battery, cleaning up and re-doing most of the wiring, and messing with it, i finally got it running.

my leg hurts from trying to kick start the mother. i had the timing gear off a tooth so it wouldn't fire.

i'm thinking of chopping the not-so-complete one. strip all the plastics, the chrome, paint, and everything else i don't need. probably make some clip-ons, a custom seat, and some other stupid stuff to make something crazy.

or i'm just gonna sell them both for a profit...:)

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My first motorcycle was a used S90. I bought a big bore kit for it. I took the cylinder off,
and put it all back together myself. It wouldn't start after that. All it would do was pop, and backfire when I tried to pushstart it in the driveway.

After extensive research, I learned there was something called cam timing, and that had something to do with a mark on the cam gear needing to be in the right place in relation to a mark on the crankshaft.

If I had half a brain that would have told me I was a 2 stroke man right then lol.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Nice score, baird. If that had been my find, my idea would have been to salvage or repurpose whatever parts I could from those bikes to use on my mb. But its pretty cool you got one running. Now if you do want to sell it, its worth a little more just because it runs, maybe even a lot more depending on the collector's market.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ya know, Baird, I don't know much about Hondas but are those CT90s related to the Super Cubs? If so, I have to agree that's quite a score. To this day I've heard people talk about the old Super Cubs, and in positive terms at that. Once you get one running, you'll have to let us know how it does.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the CT stands for "Trail Cub." it's an offshoot of the cub designed for trail and street riding. it has a low and and high 4 speed transmission, too.

my first ride last night i got it up to 45mph without really trying. but the throttle is sticky, the brake cables are pretty much shot, and i'm not used to a transmission without a clutch.

value on the one i got running is around $800-1500, depending on how much work i put into it, and obviously, the buyer. sometimes there'll be 10 of them at one time on craigslist, then a week later there's none. prices vary pretty wildly. really clean ones go for a lot, hacked ones are almost given away...

carinasoe

Sep 26, 2012
Garden Grove, SoCal
wow. thats pretty cool. i just got one too this past sunday (well now its a year after you bought it) for the same price. but lucky you i paid one for 350 and its dead. its been dead since 1984. any pointers on what i should do. i did change the battery and add gas into it. but thats about it. :-|| Oh and I dont know anything about bikes. this is my first and i need some tips/pointers on what to do. if theres videos that would be awesome. thanks.