Throttle cable failure, beware

GoldenMotor.com

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
Had the ferrule on the throttle cable separate from the cable at the wrist throttle assembly. How in the world does a cable separate form a lead ferrule???????? I was about 30 miles in the middle of nowhere when this occured. I did manage to jury rig a throttle control that allowed me to ride the engine at 1/2 throttle the entire way back to my campsite.

From now on, I plan on carrying an emergency throttle repair kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-T...08?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2570e4167c Anybody know if there is a US vendor of this product, don't want to wait for item to ship from UK.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Bummer about the throttle busting so far out, it sure nice to have enough 'stuff' to fix a problem good enough to get back though ;-}

As for the cable repair kit, for that kind of money you can just carry a spare real throttle cable, it would sure be easier to fix the problem and it would be fixed for good.

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
I guess the part that failed it called a knarp and not a ferrule, sorry.

I trust a screw pinch knarp over chinese made lead soldered knarp anyday after this failure.

The day prior, I had the plastic throttle crack/fail on another bike where the knarp goes into. Anybody make a metal one or a heavy duty one? I carry enough spare parts with me on long rides in the mountain but this is getting crazy. I guess I can also carry some metal epoxy to make my own knarp if needed or fix broken throttle handle.

I guess I put too much pressure on the throttle since I'm usually twisting it to its full stop for most of it use (full throttle) which causes it to break.

I did have solder in my tool bag but had pulled out my micro propane powered solder iron to fix a connector in my RV trailer. If I had it, I could have soldered a new knarp to get me back home safely.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
man, thats a bummer. My crimp that in the carb slid broke off thankfully at home.

The local bike shop's crimps were way to big and I kept failing and grinding it small enough for the carb slid.

I finally soldered it with hole I drilled in wood, and grinded it to size, hope it holds up.