What is going on...? (Another HELP ME thread)

GoldenMotor.com

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Hey guys, after 3 hours of working on my first build... I ran into some problems.

I did manage to install the sprocket (finally!) But then I had to install what I think was the coaster brake (I have no idea how they work), so I screwed it on, and then put the wheel on my bike... but then this happened:

The coaster arm brake (whatever its called) hits the frame... how am I supposed to install the coaster brake?
Also, is there supposed to be a plastic piece in between the coaster brake's washer and the sprocket? ? I put the sprocket over some piece of plastic that I feel may be important to the coaster brake...
[
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But, I guess another question arises... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_yZb5lnm6U
Is this centered enough, or should I go back and do some more centering?

What is going on...??? Please someone help :(

~EDIT: solved some things on my own.. but the rest I didn't delete off this thread I still need help on D:

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
it looks to me that the reason your brake arm is hitting your sprocket bolts is because you have your dust cap backwards and in the wrong position. the coaster brake arm is installed like so: cone nut, then dust cap, then brake arm, then washer with oblong slot, then brake arm nut. I hope that helps.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
it looks to me that the reason your brake arm is hitting your sprocket bolts is because you have your dust cap backwards and in the wrong position. the coaster brake arm is installed like so: cone nut, then dust cap, then brake arm, then washer with oblong slot, then brake arm nut. I hope that helps.
Oii...this is so confusing for me because I have no idea what the cone nut or dust cap is (googling has borne no fruit...) nor do I remember seeing anything apart from the brake arm, washer, and nut. Well I do remember this piece of plastic that I put under the sprocket... am I going to have to uninstall and reisntall my sprocket?!? That's going to be terrible!

Is the coaster brake arm supposed to spin as the wheel spins or just stays in place? scratg.spr.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Is the coaster brake arm supposed to spin as the wheel spins or just stays in place? scratg.spr.
I am going to say this as simply and politely as I possibly can...

Does the fact that the hub has an arm sticking out and the frame has a mounting point and they were bolted together to prevent the brake arm from moving imply that it should be able to move?

Of course not and the bike has a spot do it for crying out loud.

Get the nuts and spacers on your axle right and the brake arm will clear your sprocket blot heads.

(side bet note)
I'll give 5:1 odds for $1 this guy comes back with a drive chain issues that are rear sprocket related ;-}

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
this is so friggin ridiculous, i took off the sprocket, tried putting the bike back together and i couldnt even get the wheel to spin when spinning backwards or forwards, i dont exactly remember but i got really mad and tried to force it and a bit of the hub chipped off... after 3 hours of bull s**t all I did was ryuin the bike... i smashed up the new chain I had bought with a hammer I was (still) mad, i also ended u[p ruining the front caliper off my road bike cuz im so f**king frusttrated
im just gonna take it to the overpriced bike shop and probably pay as much as i did for the bike to get this damn thing to work, then ill have to take it apart put the sprocket back on, pray that I can put the bike back together and maybe then i can start putting the rest of the kit together which will provbably cause me 5 times as much problems as this bull s**t has

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
this is so friggin ridiculous, i took off the sprocket, tried putting the bike back together and i couldnt even get the wheel to spin when spinning backwards or forwards, i dont exactly remember but i got really mad and tried to force it and a bit of the hub chipped off... after 3 hours of bull s**t all I did was ryuin the bike... i smashed up the new chain I had bought with a hammer I was (still) mad, i also ended u[p ruining the front caliper off my road bike cuz im so f**king frusttrated
im just gonna take it to the overpriced bike shop and probably pay as much as i did for the bike to get this damn thing to work, then ill have to take it apart put the sprocket back on, pray that I can put the bike back together and maybe then i can start putting the rest of the kit together which will provbably cause me 5 times as much problems as this bull s**t has
You need to find someone local to SHOW you what parts go where. Getting all mad does you NO GOOD whatsoever. Don't freak out, just relax and try it again until it fits. It WILL be worth it the first time you get to ride the bike YOU worked on and see people smiling. You might wait a day or two and go again with a fresh attitude and see how it goes. Good luck.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, if you can't even mount the sprocket w/o destroying parts on an unrelated bicycle, give it up.

Sell the "happy time" - good name eh?

And get a friction drive.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
You need to find someone local to SHOW you what parts go where. Getting all mad does you NO GOOD whatsoever. Don't freak out, just relax and try it again until it fits. It WILL be worth it the first time you get to ride the bike YOU worked on and see people smiling. You might wait a day or two and go again with a fresh attitude and see how it goes. Good luck.
Ayyyy, there is no one local D:
But I'm a little more 'lax now, but i'm probably going to have to buy a new rear wheel... after just spending $20 to get it tru'd (DAGDFGHAETH?HEAH so much f**king money spent)
But thanks for the motivation, definitely helps, and i'm not just saying that.

If you pay for shipping both ways, I'll fix your wheel. :)
Erhmmm that's a joke right?

Yeah, if you can't even mount the sprocket w/o destroying parts on an unrelated bicycle, give it up.

Sell the "happy time" - good name eh?

And get a friction drive.
Err don't remember exactly what happy time is... meaning like generic china enginge? I got it from Venice MB... so I guess so.

But I def wont give up... that's whack to even say that

EDIT: More ranting: I'm a friggin teenage minority working 2 crappy paying jobs. with a 7 year'd expired green card, which costs $450 to renew, I don't need this MB to be more expensive than it sohuld be!!

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Whatever.

If you don't even know how a bicycle works, how are you going to build a motorbike?

You have the dustcover on the wrong side of the sprocket and you ask if the brake torque arm should spin around with the wheel?

Good luck.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Venice, I will I has the bring alive Frankenstein skill you had, Ive been working on a 2nd china girl for a week now errrrrrrrrr!

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Whatever.

If you don't even know how a bicycle works, how are you going to build a motorbike?

You have the dustcover on the wrong side of the sprocket and you ask if the brake torque arm should spin around with the wheel?

Good luck.
Okay, first off you use "whatever" which is a word of dismissal, but then you go on and start talking trash again?
I already bought the kit, and i'm not going to give up so easily, I don't understand why you would suggest it.

You're not helping anybody right now by discouraging someone, on a forum meant to help people.

I'm assuming "Good luck." might be sarcasm, why else would you say that when you're telling me to give up.

Seriously... If you pay all the shipping, I'll hook it up for you.
Haha that would sound good, thanks for the offer - but went to the bike shop and basically they said my bike was a POS, so I might just go for broke and buy a $200~ cruiser, learning my lesson from this $30 one off craigslist... you get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks Venice though, really appreciate it .shft.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Some people on this forum may not agree with me, but I feel that any bike is only as good as its mechanic. Now allow me to clarify that. Some bikes have weaker frames or substandard quality of parts. There is not much that can be done for a bike with poor structural integrity. If a frame is junk, its. junk. mechanical components can ALWAYS be upgraded, so there is no reason to go out and spend $200 on a brand new bike just because you are having problems with your wheel. You can get a heavy duty coaster wheel for around $50. I may be getting ready to have my rear wheel trued up in a couple days, depending on my $$$ situation. If I do, I plan on removing the sprocket before having the wheel trued and reinstalling it after. I will take pictures of each step and post it as a detailed tutorial. I know that others have written tutorials, but it sounds like you need detailed pictures and instructions. Even if you do buy a new bike, you will still need to know how to properly install your rear sprocket. But it will save you a ton of $$$ if you upgrade your wheel and learn how to do things properly. Its true that you get what you pay for, but you also get out of something what you put in. Learning how to do things the right way and putting in a little extra effort will save you a ton of money in this hobby.