Sheered woodruff key!!

GoldenMotor.com

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
So today I was riding along at moderate throttle, coming up to a steep hill I went wide open to keep my speed up. With my properly tuned RT carb, new piston rings, and home made expansion pipe it has some serious awesome torque.
So as I throttle up, the engine just revvs waaay up, and I started slowing down.
I came to a complete stop, clutch engaged, engine idling... That's no good!!
I assumed the clutch died, so I pulled out my screwdriver to take the clutch cover off thinking I could adjust it, but nope, when I rolled the bike the disc in the middle wasn't turning. Hitch hiked home, and came to pick up the MB with my car. When I got it apart, sure enough, the key on the drive sprocket had sheered clean in half.

A trip to the hardware store I got a key that was a bit too wide, and way too large. I used the grinder to get it to size, and I'm on the road again.
brnot
But what a weird break down!! Anyone else ever had that happen?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. i built a bike for a guy and that happened to it. he was describing it over the phone and i had no idea what he was talking about. he said he could roll the bike with the clutch engaged, and the chain turned, and whatever, and i couldn't figure it out till he got to my house.

i didn't have another key, so i made one out of chain rivet.

bike's still on the road today...

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury
Thanks that is what I need to try, I have been sheer keys left and right side of the motor. I too upped the torque of my two stroker and have been sheering keys left and right so quick I only get down the street. I changed my head to a high compression slant head, the chamber is about half the size of the original.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Thanks that is what I need to try, I have been sheer keys left and right side of the motor. I too upped the torque of my two stroker and have been sheering keys left and right so quick I only get down the street. I changed my head to a high compression slant head, the chamber is about half the size of the original.
If you're sheering them off that fast, you're probably using keys that are too thin and/or two small. If they're too thin when you go from decel or starting to accelerating, the sprocket will spin to the other side of the key, that's a lock of shock loading. And it will sheer the key in half. Also, if it's too short, it won't have as much to grab on, a combination of this will sheer them off pretty easily.
The one that's been in there is the original one with thousands of miles on it, so it was bound to die eventually...