Installed Grubee Skyhawk - Trek 830 Won't Shift Now

GoldenMotor.com

mphilleo

Apr 30, 2012
North Dakota
Hi everyone, great forum - I've referred to it many times during the installation of my Grubee SkyHawk. With a bit of patience and reference, I've been able to get the kit to work pretty well on my Trek 830. The problem is (and I hate starting out with questions) that I had to move my grip shifters to accommodate the extra switch gear that came with the kit. I'm sure it's created some slack on the cables, because now I'm unable to shift and I'm in the smallest diameter gear. As of yet, I'm unable to determine how to fix the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have another reference they can point me toward? Thanks in advance for your input!

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Can you give us some pictures? Is it your front or rear derailer? Did you make sure that its not pinchIng any cables? Sorry i cant help you much more.

mphilleo

Apr 30, 2012
North Dakota
I'll see if I can post some pictures tomorrow. It's possible that the gas tank is interfering with the cables somewhat, but they should still function somewhat. I can tell you for sure that it's my real derailleur that isn't working.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
You could try cleaning the derailer in a degreaser, lubing it with a dry teflon lube from a bike shop, cleaning the shifter and the cable/housing and if that dosent work, well we'll keep brainstorming.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Sounds like you listed your own problem.
You moved the shifters creating slack on the line. The derailures shift gears by pulling or loosening the shifter cabel via the movement of the shifter.
When the shifter is on a highest gear, this means the cable has the most slack and the highest gear is selected aka the small cog on the casset.

Just loosen the bolt on the derailure that holds the shifter cable down and pull until you remove the slack on the cable. Once that is done you should be able to have some shifting action.

If this doesn't help, just you tube derailure adustment. Plenty of good tutorials on their.

Hope this helps