curiosity killes the cat, but i satisfaction brought it back

GoldenMotor.com

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
So, I'm curious, and please excuse me if there's already a thread explaining this. But what exactly is inside an expansion chamber? Is it mainly just like an over widened tube?

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Oh ok. Thanks rusty. So in theory i could slap on an old muffler i have from my old car ? Its a straight through muffler. A lil wider than the original muffler with the kit and about 2 ft long. I could cap it with
The original baffle. Does thar make sense?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
No.

Not really! lol

Car muffler far too large, for starters.

It is not the open-ness of the pipe that makes it work, but the growing taper of the cone, then the chamber area, and very importantly, the cone that closes back down and the small stinger out the back end.

THEN, getting a suitable muffler on the end of an Xchamber that will quiet it, without stifling the hp increase, is a real trick, also.

The vendors who advertise here all carry some sort of Xchamber for the mabs.
They are possibly the 2nd best improvement to an HT.

...1st being a hub adapter to get rid of the rag joint. :)

rc

lol and by golly, be sure to get a 2nd opinion on everything I say! lol

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's a very good explaination rustycase. I was just going to say they look like bananas lol.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Lol i usually research Alot. This was just really just curiosity you know?? :D. I was mainly curious since i enjoy working with my hands and if i see i can build it myself you bet i will. Just need to figure out the kind of metal to use. Just like the muffler. I'm planning to run it under the seat closer to the rear fender (metal fender) but i know fir a fact i can chop up the original and use regular muffler parts to extend and make the bends. or just use metal water pipes. I believe that would work no?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Copper works good too. It's a good idea to have at least one flexible joint between the header, and the muffler. Otherwise you get a lot of vibration breakage.

I've never had a stock muffler last very long before breaking.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Deff. Most of these ideas (if you couldnt tell alread :D) come from my work with cars. And just like with a car. You always have the Flex pipe before the cat.

thats one **** of a bike biknut!