firing

GoldenMotor.com

KS Firefighter

Feb 9, 2012
Netawaka,Kansas
I just finally got my kit put together haven't taken any pictures yet anyways I went to start my motor and it wouldn't start so I started trouble shooting it pulled the spark plug grounded it to the bike and pedaled but the engine will not fire the plug I've checked my wires all around anyone have any ideas? thanks:-||

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
First disconnect your kill switch to be sure it isn't a problem, also make sure the white wire is isolated/not grounding anywhere..... Did you take the cap off the spark plug and push plug boot onto the bare threaded top of the spark plug? If not, you will not get a good connection to the plug..... and you are sure the motor is turning over? (meaning you know you don't have a clutch problem?)

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
It could be the small wire coming out of the magneto that is soldered to the mag arm. I've had this happen on a few of my most recent engines. Just a bad solder joint which is easy to fix. If you have a continuity checker, check from the blue wire to the mag arm- should have continuity

Attachments

KS Firefighter

Feb 9, 2012
Netawaka,Kansas
Killswitch isn't connected plug cap is off and the motor is turning over with good compression I'll have to check the magneto wire also ordered a new cdi if anything I'll have a spare around have to get my volt meter out and start checking things when I get home from work and let yall know how it goes thanks.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I had this happen again to me today. Just resoldered the little wire to the mag arm and it works just fine now. Al I think posted a link to some real helpful info for you. Maybe try just soldering the wire to the mag arm and check for spark? What I do is turn the engine over with my drill on the mag nut with the spark plug out and grounded-makes it alot easier than trying to roll the bike while looking for spark.

KS Firefighter

Feb 9, 2012
Netawaka,Kansas
resoldered magneto wires and tested with volt meter at the magneto still got nothing so i ordered a new magneto as well found out how much easier it is to test for spark by usin a ratchet too haha nothing like learning thats kinda what i decided to do this for anyways plus id get a neat toy out of it =)

KS Firefighter

Feb 9, 2012
Netawaka,Kansas
Got new magneto and cdi today checked them and hooked them up still not firing I guess its time for a new spark plug? kinda getting annoying having so many problems on a simple electrical system

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Plug wire, boot? Never a bad idea to try an NGK plug..... (did you unscrew the cap from your spark plug if you have the stock boot?)

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I think I was wrong about continuity from the blue to the mag arm-sorry- but I looked at my new mag just yesterday and you should have continuity from the white wire to the mag arm (little wire) and the ohms reading from blue to white wires should be in the .350 range. This I'm sure about.
If you haven't already I would replace the crappy stock plug wire with an automotive type plug wire and the ngk plug. The stock wire is copper cored and sometimes the wire inside just breaks not to mention the crappy spring connector in the boot. Automotive plugs are a carbon based core and are much better. I use the ngkb6hs in all my bikes with good results but that being said I've always ran the stock plug first for a couple tanks and in about 40 kits I've never had a bad stock plug- luck? could be?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I beg to differ on the wires. Copper core is the best to use. Resistor wires were made available because the copper core wire created static in the radios. Now if you have a radio installed on your bike go with the copper core wire. Many here will agree with me on this.

If impregnated core is so good, why are they not the norm in wiring?
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I think I was wrong about continuity from the blue to the mag arm-sorry- but I looked at my new mag just yesterday and you should have continuity from the white wire to the mag arm (little wire) and the ohms reading from blue to white wires should be in the .350 range. This I'm sure about.
If you haven't already I would replace the crappy stock plug wire with an automotive type plug wire and the ngk plug. The stock wire is copper cored and sometimes the wire inside just breaks not to mention the crappy spring connector in the boot. Automotive plugs are a carbon based core and are much better. I use the ngkb6hs in all my bikes with good results but that being said I've always ran the stock plug first for a couple tanks and in about 40 kits I've never had a bad stock plug- luck? could be?
I beg to differ on the wires. Copper core is the best to use. Resistor wires were made available because the copper core wire caused problems. Resistor wires were created for SUPPRESSION of RFI (radio frequency interference) and EMI (electromagnetic interference). Now if you have a radio installed on your bike go with the copper core wire. Many here will agree with me on this. The stock supplied is thin and strands bay break on many kits, but not on all as the wire in some kits seem to be updated. But I replace all with a premium wire and cap, along with a NGK plug.
"Solid metal (copper, tin-plated copper and/or stainless steel) conductor wires are still used in racing on carbureted engines" Ummm Wonder why?

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Last edited:

KS Firefighter

Feb 9, 2012
Netawaka,Kansas
where do i get plugwire? rob it from a mower? 2 plug boots both screwed in right and everything figure at least one should be working right the wire does seem to be testing funny too when i test between plug and blue i get nothing.

will try to get a new plug today too just to have it once i get the damn thing running haha.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
where do i get plug wire? rob it from a mower? 2 plug boots both screwed in right and everything figure at least one should be working right the wire does seem to be testing funny too when i test between plug and blue i get nothing.

will try to get a new plug today too just to have it once i get the damn thing running haha.
I just went to the automotive store and asked them to see their box of single plug/coil wires, they are usually kept behind the counter. The merchant was nice enough to let me thumb through the pile and find what I wanted. I ended up with a wire that was about 2 foot long with two right angle plug boots on it (I think it was a coil wire), I was able to cut it in half and make two new plug wires out of it. They work awesome!
That said, are you SURE you aren't barking up a wrong tree here? Is it possible you are not testing for spark properly? Like you said, kinda strange that two wires in two different CDI's both have a bad wire...
Most kits come with a spare spark plug, so I would swap the plug if you have one, couldn't hurt, or better yet get an NGK plug. They are only a couple bucks.

PS There are diodes, resistors, capacitors and a SCR inside your CDI, so you will not be reading direct continuity between the CDI wires. I just pulled out a spare cdi and did some readings:

Black to Blue/Blue to Black readings are ascending, this means my meeter is charging up the capacitor and a stable reading is NOT expected here initially. Eventually, when the cap is charged it settles on OPEN black to blue, and 2.46M Ohm Blue to Black.
Blue to Plug Boot: measures 2.46Meg Ohm
Plug Boot to Blue: Measurements ascending to infinity
Black to Plug Boot/Plug Boot to Black: Measures 11.71K Ohms

Again, the diodes in the unit block current in certain directions, and the capacitor charges, so the readings will fluctuate a bit.....

Last edited:

KS Firefighter

Feb 9, 2012
Netawaka,Kansas
plug boot to blue for me is giving no reaction on 2k scale which is what the guide thing said to test on but on other ohm scales im getting a different reading kinda new to using my meter

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
plug boot to blue for me is giving no reaction on 2k scale which is what the guide thing said to test on but on other ohm scales im getting a different reading kinda new to using my meter
Like I said in the previous post, there is a capacitor charging when you put your meter across these connections, so the reading will be changing. Once charged the readings will likely reach a point of stability. If you discharge the capacitor your readings will vary again. Bottom line, not a simple resistance measurement here, so if you are new at using a meter and don't know much about electronics you are gonna be nothing but confused....
Since you have two CDI's I would venture to guess that BOTH of them are not bad, so forget about doing measurements on it, it's probably not your problem.
I am gonna just throw this out there again, is it possible you are mistaken that lack of spark is your problem???

KS Firefighter

Feb 9, 2012
Netawaka,Kansas
Sorry Ive been gone for awhile trying to get ready for the Navy usflg. Im not totally new to electronics and using a meter just been awhile lol but there is a reading of 0 not a changing reading just 0 as for spark or lack thereof being the problem I'm about 95 percent sure its the problem unless for some reason I get spark in the chamber but not outside of the chamber which doesn't seem too likely to me but thats why I'm askin yall and I greatly appreciate the help.

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
A reading of 0 ohms means that there is no resistance between the two points you're measuring which means that they do connect directly. 0 does not mean there is no continuity, quite the opposite.