Problem with RAW motors. Customer service related.

GoldenMotor.com

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
No answer to my e mails, no one on the phone. :(

I ordered a RAW 50cc silver kit and on Friday night Fed Ex delivered a kit, without the engine. Actually two kits without an engine. Since then I have been e mailing them and calling, leaving messages, and so far no response from them.

Two questions. Since I already have the kit without the engine, is there an engine I can order "without" the kit stuff that will work with their stuff?

Secondly, I'm a little angry right now. What would you do?

I'm thinking of calling Mastercard and check out my options.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I have called them from 10 AM their time today. I call every 20-40 minutes, and I left 2 messages. I also left them an E-mail. I know they are supposed to be pretty good, but if I can't contact them and get customer support, then I'm going to spend my money somewhere else.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
I have called them from 10 AM their time today. I call every 20-40 minutes, and I left 2 messages. I also left them an E-mail. I know they are supposed to be pretty good, but if I can't contact them and get customer support, then I'm going to spend my money somewhere else.
Same here and I apologize to the mods here for starting what might be considered a "Bashing" thread on some forums. I've been a mod on several different forums over the years and can appreciate what yall do! It's a thankless job I know!

I think it's important to let the other "Potential Customers" know how a certain company responds to customer service.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Same here and I apologize to the mods here for starting what might be considered a "Bashing" thread on some forums. I've been a mod on several different forums over the years and can appreciate what yall do! It's a thankless job I know!

I think it's important to let the other "Potential Customers" know how a certain company responds to customer service.
You didn't get what you paid for, Call Master Card, Master Card will get in touch with them. Most likely will refund on your card while they investigate.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
You didn't get what you paid for, Call Master Card, Master Card will get in touch with them. Most likely will refund on your card while they investigate.
Thanks Ron, I just did and being that my Master Card is through my credit union that I have been a member of for 27 years, I expect help rather quickly.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Wow...........! I feel real bad now, I said good things about them based on what I had always heard in the past and now it seems I gave out bad info. very sorry about this guys, this wont happen again........!

From now on I will only recom. a vender I have personally used and had great service from, no more passing along second hand info. of this type.

Dog Gone-it...! I sure hope this all works out for you fella's who seem to be getting the run around...!

Makes you want to get a hold of someone and jerk a knot in their tail.....huh!

.xx.

Peace, map

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Man... angry wouldn't even cover how pissed off I'd be over some crap like that. I hope all goes well with it though bud that's sucks. If you get money in returned, go dax I have the f80 block and it's pretty nice. I just ordered some parts Saturday from him, sadly he didn't ship it today though :(. But I'm sure he's on it and if it doesn't ship tomorrow, I can write a e-mail and know he'll answer.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've bought parts from Duane ( ThatsDax ) several times with great...almost perfect results.

I've bought parts from Pirate Cycles several times with perfect results.

I've bought parts from Sick Bike Parts and got perfect results.

I've bought many parts & all my engines & Kits from BGF/Luckyearlybird on ebay and had great to perfect results.

These are the places I've had great first hand experience with myself since Fall of 2009, some will differ on the BGF part of this but I have always had my emails responded to very quickly, and I have always got exactly what I ordered from him and all the others listed in this post with the exception of one 415 chain I ordered from Duane @ ThatsDax last year, it was advertised as a Heavy Duty 415 Chain, and I have to say that it was the loosest sloppiest 415 chain I have ever seen, rollers in the links only 2/3rd's the width they should be, I never said anything about it, but it is junk and I knew it wasn't even worth trying to use, so I went and bought a good KMC 415H chain from my local bike shop instead, all other things I've ordered from Duane have been A-OK......!

I'm sure he would have stood behind the chain issue if I would have asked but, I just figured I might be able to use it for something some where down the line some day.

Peace, map

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Don't know about you guys, but I ordered a set of clutch pads from rawmotors. Then found out neither of their emails worked. Both came back with errors.

I ended up buying pads from piston bikes and received them days before I got the ones from raw. Took something like 2 weeks from order to received from Raw.

Probably went out of business and is just getting rid of old stock as the orders come in.

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
Too bad to hear that about Raw. I bought 3 motor kits a few months ago from them and had prompt email replies and fast shipping. The motors I got are some of the best running motors I ever bought. It does sound like something bad is going on currently at Raw. Keep us posted.

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
Hay all, I just wanted to share some of my past posts(rants) about the RAW co.

And yes that is the norm from RAW. They have terrible / no customer service. I have tried to contact them for a month now to warranty TWO engines from them with absolutely no response.

Don’t, I repeat DO NOT EXPECT ANY WARRANTY OR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM THESE FOLKS…. The 6 month warranty is a sales gimmick that he has no intention to stand behind, nor will any of the vendors on this site or on the web offer any help concerning RAW , RAW contact info, or any suggestions on how to resolve the problem.

Absolutely horrible to do business with…….. I say we boycott them…. Any one with me?

I talked to a vendor on this site that hands down recommends RAW and states that he exclusively uses them for his builds. their is a thread i will try to find where he states this on this site. when i asked if he knew how to get ahold of the guy from raw and said that he had a number that he calls to get him direct and said he would not give it to me. i then asked him if he sells the RAW engines and he said flat out NO I DO NOT.... here are a few links that prove otherwise; http://venicemotorbikes.com/store/pr...products_id=44 ,
now im not exactly trying to throw any body directly under the buss but what ever happened to honesty?? i was lied to. i don't respect 2 faced sales people especially with these engines that often need help.. especially when they have a stellar 6 month warranty!!
Go to that’s dax . I contacted them and the most pleasant old lady answered and helped me like a PRO.

Don’t go to RAW.
engines are a bit different, and seemingly more powerful but I have ordered 3 straight from RAW especially for the 6 month warranty. now that one blew out a head stud that was factory stripped (2 day old engine) im trying to get service and no reply. e-mails keep being returned with a mail demon and left 6 messages and NO REPLY.. They pride themselves on a 6 month full warranty but won’t answer their phones. BUT THEY ONLY WARRENTY ENGINES WITH THE RAW ALUMINUM STICKER. I HAVE 5 RAW ENGINES AND 1 (ONE) HAS A TAG ON IT!!! WTF!!!!! Also you have to claim missing or broke parts within 24 hours of delivery. How do I do that if nobody responds..

UMBRELLA RACKETTTTTTTTT!!!!!

I also ordered 2 others from Motovelo and they wer both RAWs. One of them broke the way out of balanced crank in half. When I tried to call Ayden Ozan to warranty the RAW engine (6 month RAW warranty???) he offered no support for the broken one and some how talked me into a newer offering from RAW. I am a gas bike junkie so I needed another….Feel Kinda Like A Dummy…

So that’s 5 RAW engines (1,000 dollars in Asian CRAP!! and I need two warrantees! NO SUPPORT, EMAIL OR PHONE CALLS RETURNED!!!!
They will probably call me in like 7 months when the warranty is up.. you think a return customer like me would get at least a “Go Sit On It!” lol

ANY HELP? ANY RAW REPS? SOMEBODY?????

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
I have been very lucky on the 3 motors that I have bought.

1st was from BGF, never had an issue with the motor.

2nd was from bikeberry. Ordered a silverslant head and got a GT5. Had a small bevel wheel break, but that might be due to not enough lube.

3rd is being ridden by my grandfather, from pistonbikes. Clutch pads should be gone any minute now because he refuses to peddle. Has all of 40 miles or so on the motor.

From everything I have read, there is only a few factories that make all of the engines. What you need is a balance between price, and reputation. If you are a motor head, I'd say you can afford to buy anything because you can figure out how to get it fixed. Otherwise go with a good reputation and pay the extra.

Personally I would recommend Pistonbikes as a good compromise. I have gotten very good parts and Great customer service.

Dax is probably the best service I have ever heard of, but you will pay more for the motor. It is worth it if you have never built one before.

For comparison, the 2 stroke motors prices sent to my place would be;
$243.99 Dax shipped for an 80cc straight head no brand
$202.47 pistonbikes shipped for 80cc slant head gt5

Mind you, comparing engines can be apples to oranges, especially if you don't know what you are getting. Dax's engines do have upgraded parts as well, so keep that in mind. Not all kits ship with the same stuff inside.

Last edited:

SrtBrad

Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I bought a kit from In Arcadia CA from the RAW distributor himself as he claimed to be. I installed it on my mountain bike and worked well for around 150 miles. The drive gear broke and they did replace the engine with another engine. The new engine worked for about 50 miles and just stopped working.

I called the distributor and he flat out said that he was not going to honor the 6month warranty and to just sue him if I wanted to get my money back. He has been in business for 5 years and has never had any problems with his motors and then I come around and 2 motors have something go wrong with them was suspicious and he concluded it was something that I must have done wrong.

The problem with the second motor turned out to be a problem with no spark plug gap. I gaped the plug and it fired right up. The engine is still running strong after 200 more miles but now the clutch is not working properly. It has some play in the arm bar on the housing and wont fully disengage.

I also have a problem with the noise that the tensioner makes. It seems like there has to be a better tensioner out there. The plastic wheel is moderately chewed up as well.

I have had nothing but problems with the customer service from RAW motors and have been lied too as well on top of being insulted.

Who has a shop out here in SoCal and has parts that I can walk into the store and buy that will honor a warranty?

Last edited:

madcroc

Aug 24, 2011
california
Man I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered from them so bad. DANG IT! Ordered my kit on 8/24/11 no email response, straight to voicemail, they took the money. **** raw motors.

edit: So FEDEX just delivered my engine kit to my doorstep. I don't know what's going on with their communication but I hope you guys get your stuff too.

Last edited:

everydaymotors

Nov 8, 2011
Arcadia
Now Let me get the story straight. SRTBRad bought a engine from me. Installed the Engine, Used it for 7 days and claimed it just broke. I went through trouble shooting with him over the phone and realized that he doesn't know how to install the engine. I asked him to return the engine kit for a full refund, no questions, no conditions. He insisted on an exchange instead. I proceeded to tell him that I didn't want to do business with him because he doesn't know how to properly install it and would just be back later with more problems. SRTBrad told me "I Know it's something wrong with this engine and it's not me." Give me an exchange and if something goes wrong with the second engine, I won't bother you" So I gave him an exchange. Second engine worked great for 2 weeks. He calls me up saying it just died again. No explaination. I told him again that I just sell the engines and I don't have the time to trouble shoot with him and that he told me he wouldn't bother me about the second engine if I gave him the exchange. Look at SRTBrad's conclusion to his posting. Found out that he didn't connect the spark plug correctly. 200Miles and still strong. Asking if there's a shop he can go to service the engine. It's obvious he doesn't know how these work and need help. I told him it was something he was doing wrong. Not the engines defective. It's true I insulted SRTBrad. I knew from the start he didn't know crap about installing one and didn't want to sell it to him. He insisted on an exchange which he promised, that he wouldn't bother me if he had any other problems with the 2nd engine. Sure enough 2 weeks later, he didn't gap the spark plug correctly and came back asking for a refund. If I gave everyone a refund, that couldn't gap the spark plug correctly, how would I stay in business? If I have to troubleshoot on the phone for each customer that couldn't gap the spark plug, how would I stay in business. I state clearly, I sell engines. I sell them cheap. If theres a defect, bring it back for a refund.

Last edited: