Very disappointed with pirate cycles!

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
I ordered a CDI box and some gaskets on May6th from Pirate Cycles. My box arrived on May13th. Thought that was a little long for regular ground, but what the heck. I opened the box and found my gaskets, buisness cards, stickers, and bubblegum. BUT NO CDI BOX! The CDI can't even fit in the box they sent me! I have emailed him since Friday and no response as of yet. I have called the number and no answer yesterday or today. All I want is my CDI box and would like for them to ship it NEXT DAY for making up for their mistake. I see a lot of satisfied customers on here, so maybe it's just my bad luck. I don't know. Hopefully they will make it right.

:-||

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
Well. Pirate Cycles may make me eat my words. I just got through to them on the other number and he answered. He apologized for the mixup and is sending another out today. Keeping my fingers crossed that my luck will change!

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
They really were the only ones that will answer the phone. I have to give it to them. The other guys have an automated deal that didn't get me nowhere. So I went back with him even though he is farther away. If he treats me right. I will go back and buy an engine to have spare in case of future disaster. It sucks waiting a week for a part.
I still hope it's just the CDI box that is giving me the weak and then no spark condition. The magnets are good, the grounds are good, the ignition wire is good. I spin it over at 1200 RPM with a drill and very weak intermittent spark. Sometimes it makes a good orange spark. Magneto ohms good. Hope it's not flaky.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Although I never ordered from Pirate, if I ever do need a part or engine in the future, he'll get my business. I feel that he and Dax are the only vendor's worth ordering from nowadays....ooops, sorry but SBP is top notch too but they don't sell engines.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
when i ordered from there once i got a cdi and the stupid mounting tabs ripped off while i was tightening it down (and no i didn't over tighten it, the original one, and the 3rd one were both tighter and didn't fall apart), when i went to order the magneto cause my cdi wasn't the problem, i mentioned it in the little box at the bottom of the check out screen and he sent me another one free of charge, along with a hand written apology on the back of my receipt, thats customer service right there.

i don't always use pirate cause sometimes they don't have what i want, or another vendor has a better version.

but if i can get an identical from them at a reasonable price, even if its a few $ more, i go through them.

Blazecc

Apr 19, 2011
connecticut
i get most of my parts from them and they usualy answer the phone and always have taken care of me as far as orders go they are #1 in my book

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
PIRATE CYCLES IS A VERY GOOD COMPANY!! I explained to them that I had waited a week already and I just wanted to get back on the road for the weekend, and could they please expedite ship it to me even though originally I only went Ground. It arrived Friday and I FOUND MORE TREASURE IN THE BOX!!! Little touches like that really make a good impression to a customer. I proudly put the FREE clutch cover sticker he sent me on my bike! I was going to delete this post at first once I got through to them, but I thiink it turned out as a positive for them and should be left up.
ALSO, the CDI fixed me up. I knew it would fire as soon as I cranked it over with my cordless drill and saw those bright blue sparks!! Also learned that my BGF 80/66CC motor magneto puts out 36VAC RMS open circuit voltage between black and blue and around 2.5VAC RMS open circuit on white and black when cranked over with a 1200 RPM drill. AND DONT EVER CROSS UP THE BLUE AND BLACK WIRES or you gonna fry your CDI module. THANK YOU PIRATE CYCLES!!!!!

MattF

Mar 31, 2011
WMass
well done. Have had good luck with them as well. Plus for me they are SUPER close so anything shipped I will get it nice & fast unless they take a week to send it out :)