tryed everything need help

GoldenMotor.com

that guy on a bike

Mar 30, 2011
newmanstown, p.a.
Thank god i found you guys. I'm a newbie, and am working on my first ride. built this awesome 74 schwinn spitfire with a 66cc and a " high perfor. carb."
the thing ran great from the box. during break in miles my carb broke at the intake clamp. I was pretty far from away so with some twigs and electical tape i riged the thing on and made it home. Ever since the thing could barely run no matter my ingenuity,or the amount of " j b weld" i use. before i saw all the problems people have, I ordered a new P.O.S. carb. that i cannot get any "performance" at all out of.
I tryed all ajustments and float movements and dont know what to do. it runs but if i give it throddle it bogs down .can't be happy travel'in at 15mph.
hope i did'nt waste the 50 bucks. My wife told me to buy the cheaper one.zpt

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
um... you should only alter the fuel/air ratio (needle clip position) after checking the spark plug electrode's coloration. Yer after a chocolaty milk brown/tan color, gray/ashy = lean and you should lower the clip (towards the pointy end) black/oily = rich and raise the clip as Hammond suggested...

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
well said nougat. i'm amazed at how many people think they can tune a carb just by moving the needle clip. if your main jet is to rich nothing you do is going to change that. other than rejeting to a smaller main jet.

that guy on a bike

Mar 30, 2011
newmanstown, p.a.
moving the clip has little change at all. ive been messing with 2 CNS carbs and they both
do the same thing. between the two of them ive tryed 'bout every combination of things with little improvements. should the carb have a gasket on the top under the throttle and choke cables? both of mine dont. im in the process of sealing everything up good to knock that off my list. it runs with full choke as long as i accelerate slowly. wide open just dies. don't go fast and don't sound the greatest. this bike was the awesome at first and would do 33 mph no problem so i can't see why i can't get it working with the main jet it has. just don't make sense.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I'd move the needle clip before I started soldering and redrilling jets. I have a GT-5 and when I got it the needle was set in the middle position. It four stroked more than it two stroked and I could only get about 23 mph out of it. I moved the clip to the second position from the top and it four stroked less but would bog down mid range, anything over about 15mph. You could nurse it through mid range if you gave it just the slightest amount of throttle over about a three mile distance. I moved the clip to the highest position and now it runs perfect, no bogging, instant response, no flat spots from idle to WOT and does about 32mph. It still has the same 68.5mm jet in it that came with it and the plug is more black than brown.