Fuel tubing ID?

GoldenMotor.com

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Are you gys using 1/4" ID fuel line or 3/16" ID? What they gave me is too short and is dirty so I grabbed some new silicone tubing in both 1'4" ID and 3/16" ID. The 1/4" fits a bit sloppy and does not seem to seal well on the carb. The 3/16" is really tight but fits on real snug. I prefer the 1/4" for a little better flow just wanted to see what you guys use.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Most 1/4" will work but might need a clamp. Small Nylon tie-wraps (ziptie) will do the job if pulled snug. You can also use a fine gage wire twisted around the barbed area of the carb and petcock. 3/16" fuel line will flow all the fuel your little engine can use. It is a myth that you need a lot of flow. If you have a full stream, not dripping, then you have enough.
Tom

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Thanks 2 door. I have been running pocketbikes and it was one of the first things always done with those motors was to jump to 1/4" for better flow. I have the 3/16 on there now all nice and snug so that is what will stay on there.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Beej, You're welcome.
Think of it this way: Fill your fuel tank then open the petcock and drain the tank back into a can. Time how long it takes to empty the tank. Now fill the tank again and go for a ride using the advertised gas milage of most 2 stroke kits, 100+ mpg (probably more like 80). Run your tank dry and time your ride from start to stop. I will guarantee that the ride will last a lot longer than it took to drain the tank. Even with 3/16" line. I can't imagine that even a modified pocketbike motor would require more than the amount of fuel that could flow through a 3/16" line. That's a lot of fuel. Just for comparison, you can successfully feed a 300 hp small block Chevy with a 3/8" line and never starve for fuel at highway cruising speeds; and it has seven more cylinders :)

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Beej, You're welcome.
Think of it this way: Fill your fuel tank then open the petcock and drain the tank back into a can. Time how long it takes to empty the tank. Now fill the tank again and go for a ride using the advertised gas milage of most 2 stroke kits, 100+ mpg (probably more like 80). Run your tank dry and time your ride from start to stop. I will guarantee that the ride will last a lot longer than it took to drain the tank. Even with 3/16" line. I can't imagine that even a modified pocketbike motor would require more than the amount of fuel that could flow through a 3/16" line. That's a lot of fuel. Just for comparison, you can successfully feed a 300 hp small block Chevy with a 3/8" line and never starve for fuel at highway cruising speeds; and it has seven more cylinders :)
First of all you are correct. These engines can in no way use more fuel that can drain through a 3/16 or 1/4" hose. Good test...Run bike, turn off fuel and see how far it will go just with the fuel in the carburetor. I have a 1/4 fuel line and I turn off the fuel about 700 feet before I hit the front yard. My 350ci, I/O, boat engine with a four barrel, on a 25' boat doing 4,600 RPM (WOT) can't use fuel faster then what is supplied through a 5/16 line

Last edited: