Wheel/chain wont turn with spark plug in. Please help!

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm surprised no one has warned the OP against trying to start/run the engine with the spark plug loose. Eventually he's going to damage the threads in the head and then he'll have bigger problems.

I have to agree with BBB. It sounds to me like he doesn't understand the proper use of the clutch and/or his clutch cable is way loose. I can't see spark plug interference if he's actually had the engine start and run. That doesn't make sense to me.

Tom

Kevbot365

Feb 27, 2013
Southeast US
OK I got my socket wrench. Got the head off. Headgasket is in there (if I'm right in assuming that the square metal thing that looks about the thickness of a washer is the headgasket.. google images seems to agree), and doesn't look beat up or bent.

As far as starting the bike is concerned, yes and I've gotten it started before.

There's a chance that it's the engine's compression and not the plug hitting the piston. Getting a good look at the shape of the inside of the motor tells me that there's not really a way for it to hit. However the compression (if that's what it is) is so great that I can't even stand on one pedal with all my weight and get it to move with the plug in.

I'll do a search on adjusting the compression (is that a thing that can be done?) but any other ideas you gentleman (and ladies? maybe?) have would be appreciated. Thanks for your help so far!

Kevbot365

Feb 27, 2013
Southeast US
Just so everyone understands, the resistance is happening when the clutch pulled in and the plug all the way in. Clutch not pulled=no movement regardless of plug.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Maybe you don't weigh enough? Try starting it on a steep hill or an overpass. Pedal real fast before letting the clutch out. Make sure you are sitting down on the seat when you let the clutch out if you don't weigh much. You have to prevent the back wheel from locking up.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Just so everyone understands, the resistance is happening when the clutch pulled in and the plug all the way in. Clutch not pulled=no movement regardless of plug.
In other words your clutch is still clutching wether your lever is pulled in or out?
You must loosen your clutch until your bike moves without resistance with the hand lever pulled in (motor disengaged), and with the lever let go then there should be resistance because the motor is actuated.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Loosen the cable end and pull all the slack out of the cable then re-install it You should be able to roll the bike with little to no resistance when the clutch lever is pulled in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Loosen the cable end and pull all the slack out of the cable then re-install it You should be able to roll the bike with little to no resistance when the clutch lever is pulled in.
Don't mess with the right side (flower nut, clutch) until you take this man's advice. Your clutch cable is not adjusted correctly. Tighten it up a little and you'll be good.

Tom

Kevbot365

Feb 27, 2013
Southeast US
Someone in chat beat you guys to it, but you all were correct that my clutch wasn't adjusted properly!

Was NOT expecting that to be such an easy fix. Took her on her maiden voyage today (for me anyway) and had little to no issue. I seem to have a slight fuel leak though I'll be taking care of that tomorrow.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Someone in chat beat you guys to it, but you all were correct that my clutch wasn't adjusted properly!

Was NOT expecting that to be such an easy fix. Took her on her maiden voyage today (for me anyway) and had little to no issue. I seem to have a slight fuel leak though I'll be taking care of that tomorrow.
Don't wait too long...gas leaks can be very dangerous.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds like the same problem im having... what did you have to do to the clutch?
He tightened the cable. You want little to no slack in the cable at the engine end when the handlebar lever is unsqueezed. It doesn't take much cable slack to keep the clutch engaged.

Move the clutch actuator arm inward toward the engine until you start to feel resistance. Move the cable stop against the arm and tighten it down. That should give you sufficient movement when you squeeze the clutch lever to disengage the clutch. As was stated above; you need to pedal up to about 10mph before releasing the clutch lever when trying to start the engine or when slowing to under 10mph.

Tom