idea for oil pump and filter for predators

GoldenMotor.com

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
when taking apart the engine again after i broke it in a little (like maybe 45 minutes running on a stand) i found some sludge and probably abrasive junk had settled to the bottom of the case. it got me thinking... 4 stroke dirt bikes and motorcycles have oil filters and probably pumps, how could i put one on my bike?

well, the way oil gets into the head is it is pulse pumped though a hole that runs from the bottom of the crankcase near the socket for the cam and up into the head next to the intake valve. what if i blocked off that hole in the crank case with jb weld and used the oil drain hole to run a tube up to the head and had a one way valve and filter inline? it would make oil changes a breeze and farther between, too.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i thought about using a pulse pump like the kind they use for fuel [they say it will move oil]. put a oil tank along side of the motor and run 2 oil lines 1 to level and the other to pump oil to the top end from the bottom. the oil would stay the same height in the motor/ tank and their would be just more oil to cool. but i didnt know if the pump would take the heat of the oil. i guess i could do it with out the pump but i dont know if the siphon effect would move enough oil to work properly. lil' red's catch can could be adapted to this very easily and you might see this soon. dennis

Last edited: