Wal Mart ain't all bad!

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Daughter number 3 was in the market for a laptop. I bought an HP a few months ago, and am very happy with it, sooooo we calls the local wart mart (which is over an hour away) to make sure they have one in stock.

"Sure, we have five of that stock number available here today" she says on the phone after putting my kid on hold for almost 10 minutes.

I drive us down there and walk in and low and behold, there are NONE in the security cage. I ask the woman behind the counter if she has one, and she must have already looked after the other one got off the phone, because she said "Oh, you must be the one's who called, we can't find any of those in stock."

I told her I would like to speak to a manager, and then she asks if there was something she could do...

I pointed at the comparable (exactly the same) Compaq laptop there and asked, "Do you have those in stock?" (Mind you, they cost more by 20 dollars, even though it's the same computer...)

She goes to look, and after 10 more minutes she comes back with one and asked "Do you want this one?" (I won't tell you what I wanted to say, but I am sure you know.)

I said "Yes, but only if you can give me a better price since we called, were told the HP was in stock, then drove an hour to get here."

She responded with "How about $250.00?" (The original price was 298.99) I said "O.K.".

Soooo Child number 3 got the same computer for a lot less money.

Gotta love the confusion and dis-array at wart mart, where your dollar goes farther.

Thanks for listening,

Joe

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Wally world ain't been the same since Sam passed. Heck, it ain't even been the same since I worked there. When I was a support manager in charge of inventory control, you wouldn't have heard many stories like this. They always used to put me on the layaway crew around the holidays for the same reason.
I would never trust what the store computer said (except when I was working inventory) and if somebody called about something I would run to the back and LOOK. If it was there, I'd grab it and tell the customer where to pick it up. Problem solved.
But we employees weren't paid to have brains. That's one reason why I moved on after a while.

(PS: I think zombies would starve at Wally World.) laff

Last edited:

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
That story just adds to the reasons behind me not shopping there. Obviously they fudge their numbers to get you in the store because they know that once you're in there, you're much more likely to purchase something. As you said, you drove an hour to get there. You obviously wouldn't have done so if they said they didn't have one in stock but guess what, they still sold you a computer, didn't they?

Yet another shady practice by that place. I refuse to shop there.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Got a suh-weet price though. :) I usually shop locally, but in the case of a "big" purchase, I go where the best deal is.

I am not one of those wart mart shoppers who goes in because it's raining/too hot/Christmas/Monday and walk around an fill a cart just for something to do.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yea, at least they covered what you drove all the way down for, and got the same for less $$'s. Even the small town I'm in has a Walmart(12k ppl), but the neighboring businesses have all but died off. But everyone always has to look for the best deal, for sure.

I'm sure they're just trying to kill off any competition, then they'll raise their prices... Because where else are you going to get ________ now?