My Specialized

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pictures are too small to see the bike very well. Any hassles about riding it in D.C.? I used to live not too far from there when I was much younger... whole lot of nutty drivers in D.C. Be careful and welcome to the forum.
SB

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Beautiful bike, well done except for the drive side tensioner.
Kinskeys, you don't need one! You have a tensioner on your derailer side, take that chunk of metal and plastic off and size you chain bud ;-}

Is it a 2010 Giant? Front shocks and seat shock are awesome, I know from experience, and those are some nice trainner bags, it almost like a cargo hauler.

Kinskeys

Jul 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Thanks, it's a 06' Specialized Crossroad. It's my 2nd built and I have try to not use the tensioner, but it won't work. I took off a full link and put in a half link without the tensioner and can't get the chain on, so I put the full link back on with the tensioner and it's been working for 2 months now.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Absolutely great photos Kinskeys, Love the background (^)

I would love to cruise around on a Motor Assisted Bicycle in DC

Last edited:

Ptenwal

Sep 26, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Hey,

I also live in DC and just finished up my own build. It's the Gary Fisher Marlin on the Mountain Bike page. I've talked to a lot of different police officers around the city about the legality of what I have. Not surprisingly, everyone seems to have a different opinion. No issues (tickets) so far. I figure as long as I obey traffic laws no problem. The issue I face is that anything with an engine in DC needs to be registered.

Upon trying to register the bike, the DMV laughed at me because I brought them a bike. However after further review of the "non-traditional motorized vehicle chart" (upon my own request) they said take the engine off and stop being so creative. Apparently you cannot register a motorized bicycle without a title. Having built the bike myself, there obviously is no title. I have also spoken with a friend who is a prosecutor for motor vehicle violations, and she made it seem as though no registration was required.

Is it a bike, motorized bicycle, scooter, moped, or motorcycle? In some way, it fits in every category. Whatever it is called, it sure is a blast to ride.

The laws are extremely gray...

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey,

I also live in DC and just finished up my own build. It's the Gary Fisher Marlin on the Mountain Bike page. I've talked to a lot of different police officers around the city about the legality of what I have. Not surprisingly, everyone seems to have a different opinion. No issues (tickets) so far. I figure as long as I obey traffic laws no problem. The issue I face is that anything with an engine in DC needs to be registered.

Upon trying to register the bike, the DMV laughed at me because I brought them a bike. However after further review of the "non-traditional motorized vehicle chart" (upon my own request) they said take the engine off and stop being so creative. Apparently you cannot register a motorized bicycle without a title. Having built the bike myself, there obviously is no title. I have also spoken with a friend who is a prosecutor for motor vehicle violations, and she made it seem as though no registration was required.

Is it a bike, motorized bicycle, scooter, moped, or motorcycle? In some way, it fits in every category. Whatever it is called, it sure is a blast to ride.

The laws are extremely gray...
As a kind of 'insurance policy' in case you run into a total jerk cop who gives you a ticket for operating an illegal whatever, I would suggest documenting every effort you have made to register, investigate the laws and be in compliance with whatever is required for you to use a mode of transportation which is environmentally friendly and is legal in most parts of the country (so I would tell the judge) citing the requirements of adjoing states... (Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia) and that apparently the legislature has not seen fit to clarify the legality or illegality of a motorized bicycle. Also point out how safe your bicycle is with lights, etc. your helmet (assuming you use one) and how otherwise you are a safe rider. And be respectful. I think in a situation like that where there is nothing blatantly saying it is illegal a judge will rule in your favor. Most try to be fair within the limitations of the law. Or at least I want to think so.
SB