Morini plus jackshaft? Doable?

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I imagine it is doable, the how is a whole other question.
Bumping this one up just 'caues I'm interested in seeing what folks have in mind.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
if you do a morini j-shaft build don't go for the s6s motor, it's way to much power for any shifting system to hold up to. about the only option is the 6hp motor and a nuvinci hub, i don't see a derailer system holding up to the morini. goat herder has a j-shaft nuvinci with the 5hp morini thats working well for him, heres a pic of my s6s morini with nuvinci build, the nuvinci didn't hold up to the power,

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
There's a full-suspension jackshafted 5.8hp Morini on Youtube. It's doable. I've been looking at super-reliable internally-geared hubs for a build I'm planning to do in a couple years-- ebike running about 6hp average, peak of 10hp or more-- and I keep coming back to the Rohloff speedhub. They still claim that they've never had a hub fail, and it's so efficient for an IGH, and so elegant... no adjustments, even 13.6% shifting intervals, built-in safeties so it shifts well under torque... It's beautiful.

Too bad it's over $1000! =/

But it might be better to buy one Rohloff than to buy a bunch of cheaper hubs and burn through them. Of course, there's the risk that the pulsed-torque of a motorized application might burn up the Rohloff... but that's unlikely.

Unfortunately a NuVinci hub isn't a good choice. They aren't warrantied at all for gas systems of any size, and that's for a reason. They can't handle a whole lot of torque, and the N171 isn't designed to handle more than approximately 6hp continuously-- attached to a warning that says that they won't last long at that speed, and that the limit for gas motors is far, far less.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The 5.8 Jshafted Morini is mine. My present BoXer bike done up with a 10+ horse power Morini picks up everywhere, where that bike left off with no J shaft and leaves it behind. Just a fine tuned clutch and one chain that never needs attention or wears out.. I built that bike having never even ran this Morini engine as it was designed to run for the most part.

The bike I run now cruses perfectly for me at as slow as 10 miles per hour peacefully and gracefully everywhere and in between. It took me a few but I can do what I want with their clutch now for my own bidding just the way I want it. Can cruise peacefully or quickly scramble to speed!! For me my clutch acts just like gears... I learned a lot in the past 3 or four years.. That was a fun bike I beet and road that thing hard!! I like my latest set up more better:)