Pocket bikes, - I'm afraid I'd just feel silly.......

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Anne, you could hide it under skirt as you rode.....bet it would raise a few eyebrows!! :D

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I've got a couple of old pocket bikes,
I don't ride them much though.
I did however spend a silly amount of time fixing the old girls up.
They are a bit of fun, especially if you play with there motors a little.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Minimoto riding position = insight for men into gynaecology.
Minimoto sidecars = hideously cramped way of hurting 2 people.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
That's why I'm a strong advocate for wearing long skirts and I never wear jeans or trousers Ludwig. A little modesty never did any woman any harm.

Now as far as I'm concerned those minimoto sidecar outfits are just plain silly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idzPxslH8zs

But at least the 110cc class we have here in NZ is a little more sensible in its sizing even if conditions on the bike and sidecar are still a little intimate. Personally I think you would need to be good friends to be successful at this class of racing and if I was a younger woman I'd be very fussy about who I was racing with. (I used to ride fullsized sidecar outfits a lot in my late 20's and during my 30's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQj3HUUgHHc#t=374

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. So I've never rode a pocket bike. A friend of mine who is small looked like a regular size person on a regular size motorcycle. If a picture was taken you wouldn't have known he was on a pocket rocket.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been silly enough to try several tiny pocketbikes while working on them.
My biggest problem was turning radius. Every one ahd about three inches of turning before hitting something. I kept falling over trying to turn around.
Plus it really hard to keep your feet from dragging when you do manage a turn.
The feeling of speed is kinda cool on something so awkward. Watching those race guys leaning these things over at speed is truly hilarious!
I don't wear skirts but I think it would be cool to hide a stand up scooter like that and just glide around town elegantly. Bet people would love it!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
A lot of people seem to think they are cute or something. I imagine they'd be fun to work on. But pocket bikes aren't really my thing either. I sat on one once, to try to better understand the attraction. I must have been doing something wrong; my knees kept getting in the way of my elbows. I felt like a clown.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The NZ minimoto chairs are the same size as the UK version. I used to passenger Moped Mayhem chairs, which had 6' wheelbase and max width across the outside tyre walls of 4'. An hour on a high comp 98cc kneeler round a kart circuit was a really god cure for a hangover.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I've never tried to even sit on a pocket bike.. I've seen them a number of times, but when I see the pretzel-shaped rider on them I know they're not for me. I'm a little under 6' tall, and long legged, so it just won't work.

I was working in the garage one day last spring, chatting with a neighbour when someone rolled by on one. My neighbour watched the 'shop' for me for 5 minutes while I fired up the beast and chased the guy down. Up and down the back lanes we went. (I'm on a hillside, so it was UP and down a lot). He could probably have outrun me, but even from standing there cold the beast and I were on his back within a half minute. We talked for a few minutes, and that was that. Haven't seen the pocket rocket again since.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I see mine as nice models, that run.
But two of them are a bit fast to let smaller kids on.
One of them I did up, threw me with in about 20M!
They come up Quick when they wheel stand.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Honestly? The single biggest reason I don't have dozens of pocket bikes to play with is the CAG engines. They will drive grown people to throw things and use colorful language.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
They're a bit like a China girl, they really need to be hand built and will give you trouble if you take them too far.
But for the limited use my motors get they don't give much trouble, mostly broken pull cords and starter mech's.
Can be hard to find a good original carb that doesn't leak, but a standard NT is a good upgrade.
They are built to require a bit of maintenance.

Attachments