Bike stolen - best lock/chain?

GoldenMotor.com

Rezso

Nov 9, 2013
Tx
This might seem like a dumb question. I've never really had to worry about it around here...but my bike was stolen over the weekend. I had it chained to a post in my friends driveway over night and just the cut chain was there in the morning.

Now I am extremely paranoid about losing the one i bought today. I've been riding all over the county on a daily basis for a couple years...grocery stores, post office, friends houses etc, and I've only actually chained it to anything like 5 times during that entire time.

I wonder if it being chained up made my old mt bike seem more appealing?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Truthfully, there's no chain (or lock) that can't be cut in under 30 seconds! :(

Your best bet is to always lock it up where there's plenty of people around to see someone trying to steal it. When we lock our bikes up, we lock them to a post right by the front door of the place we're in! ;)

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
Sorry about your bike! I've been there!! and you do get real paranoid after,,now depending on where you're at, I've learned to not be bashful about asking if you could possibly bring your bike inside ,,I've been surprized several times when they answer YES just put it over there!!!!

Rezso

Nov 9, 2013
Tx
It's cool, I got a Next Avalon and it's nice for the price. Smoother ride than my old pos. :p

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Truthfully, there's no chain (or lock) that can't be cut in under 30 seconds! :(

Your best bet is to always lock it up where there's plenty of people around to see someone trying to steal it. When we lock our bikes up, we lock them to a post right by the front door of the place we're in! ;)
Norm here is right. Even a StreetCuff® wouldn't last too long against a cordless Dremel with a decent cutoff wheel chucked in. (Although that kind of noise might attract some attention.) At home I lock mine behind a steel shed door with a dead bolt on it. When I'm out & about, I use a heavy cable lock and I don't make any plans that involve being gone from the bike more than five or six minutes. When I rode to work, I'd lock it outside the front door of my building where there were two or three deputies standing guard. And all that is usually about the best anyone can hope for.