Is this a new engine? Please advise.

GoldenMotor.com

BlueDog

Feb 7, 2013
Orlando
Hello,

I purchased an engine kit to assemble my first motorized bicycle. This is the engine I received from the company. When the clutch wouldn't work I took off the cover and this is what I found. The company said this is a NEW engine, however the clutch pads look used, the engine block fins look battered and it looks as though they were just painted over. It was also missing a center clutch spring - which they said it didn't need. What is your assessment? Thank you.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue, first of all welcome to the forum.

What I'm seeing is normal for the Chinese 2 stroke engine. The alunminum castings are not up to the standars of the Japanese and are a little rough and crude. The clutch pads don't look worn or used. The pressure plate shows no signs of ever being run.
The screwdriver gouges on the primary gear are also not uncommon.
You have to consider that quality control isn't a huge concern with these relatively inexpensive little engines and most of us have come to expect some roughness from the little mom and pop assemblers who export the engines and kits.

The important parts that you need to be concerned with are internal, bearings, pistons and crankshaft. The cosmetic stuff has no effect on how the engine runs and performs for you.
We're here if you ned help or advice gettintg that little beast installed and running.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
I've had problems selling my bike due to cosmetic flaws, but I just tell them "It doesn't change the way it runs! Get over it!" they're cheap engines, and like 2door said, it's not a big deal as long as it performs well for you.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
A lot of these motors are run for a few minutes at the factory, so that would explain the small amount of wear on the clutch pads. No worries there.

I have no idea about the missing small clutch plate spring not being needed, though.

And yeah, the castings on most of the HTs are horrible. I cleaned mine up a bit with a dremel and a sanding block. They still looked rough, but better...

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Welcome to the forum from Dallas.

You can rest rest assured that's a new one. That's how they look. Most of the silver motors are painted.

Also new Flying Horse motors don't have a outter spring on the clutch plate either.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Looks OK, and you've got the better clutch pads. I like having the internal spring as I think it cuts down on clutch rattle when at a stop light, but it isn't really needed, and is easy to make or cheap to buy.

BlueDog

Feb 7, 2013
Orlando
Thanks Tom and everyone else for the input. I have never seen something that is "new" in such rough condition with scratches, chinks in the metal, bent parts, etc. Someone slapped a company label OVER the screw heads so part of it had to be ripped of to remove the screws, so it then looked awful with parts of it torn away. I"ll probably remove the whole thing and re-paint it. I must say I have seen other kits that look much nicer and were less money for the same size but this build is 90% finished so I'll shop around next time. This is a great forum, I have already learned a huge amount from your boards since the engine's enclosed instructions are so horrible. Thanks again!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're glad to help, Blue. Shipping damage is common in these kits. Dented fuel tanks are very common as are bent and even broken cooling fins in the head and cylinder. Some are packed more carefully than others and some are never inspected by the seller so you get what came from the little mom and pop assemblers in China.

The fins can be straightened with a little careful work and a Dremel tool with the right wheels will smooth some of those rough places. Just taking off the bad areas will not compromise the cooling effect of the fins.

As was said above however, as long as the stuff inside works, that's what's important.

Good luck.

Tom