Motor starts, will not idle, and shakes

GoldenMotor.com

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
I have a brand new PK80 motor, and it will start, but I have to keep hitting the throttle to keep it running, then when I ride down the driveway (while it's running) and let the clutch out the thing shakes bad at full throttle, then if I back off a little it's better but still there...any thoughts??

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
I have those kw machine mounts, direct to the frame, no rubber.
I got it to idle, but it's still not right. (bent tongs down, and put 68 jet)
It has a long delay, twist the throttle and it takes a long time to spool up.
When i put the choke on it does not kill it right away.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Start looking for an air (vacuum) leak. The choke should kill the engine quickly. If it doesn't that's a good indication that the engine is getting air from somplace it shouldn't be. Carburetor to intake manifold and the intake manifold gasket to the cylinder is where to look first. If all is good there check the crankshaft seal behind the magneto rotor (magnet).

Tom

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
it has to be an air leak somewhere???? Help.
I'm 98 percent it is not between the air filter and the cylinder. (RTV)
If it's an air leak in the magneto area, how do you seal this area?
I took the side cover off and it's clean in there.
I got it running and put the propane gas next to the 3 wires going in, and it died 3 times in a row? coincidence?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
it has to be an air leak somewhere???? Help.
I'm 98 percent it is not between the air filter and the cylinder. (RTV)
If it's an air leak in the magneto area, how do you seal this area?
I took the side cover off and it's clean in there.
I got it running and put the propane gas next to the 3 wires going in, and it died 3 times in a row? coincidence?
Sounds like a crank seal to me. Pull the rotor and replace the seal. I'd do them all while you're at it...

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
yes I can get it to idle, and it idles ok. at first I had to have the idle screw all the way in, but now it's about 1.5 out. As I get rolling it's real boggy, and no power (my other bike is great).
Then when I put the choke on it takes about 15 seconds to kill the motor.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Here's an idea for you to check.

Make sure your magneto rotor in indexed correctly. It should look like this when the piston is at TDC, with the rotor keyway at 1 o:clock.

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
yeah it's like yours. I just checked it. At first I thought it was off, by moving the back wheel to TDC..It looked like my picture. then I put it in your position, and looked at the piston and it was TDC.

I have a sloppy video, I will try to upload it.

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Honestly from the sound, it doesn't seem like anything is wrong compared to the sounds I get out of my motors.

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
ok I was able to get out an ride it today. I want to thank everyone that help post on this topic...Thanks.
It's not perfect, but it's better.
It's really slow starting off, shakes a bit, and acts like it is missing, but once it gets going, I'll bet that I'm going 25mph+.
What temp should the head be? (I bought one of those temp guns)
Do they make a 9 tooth front gear?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
ok I was able to get out an ride it today. I want to thank everyone that help post on this topic...Thanks.
It's not perfect, but it's better.
It's really slow starting off, shakes a bit, and acts like it is missing, but once it gets going, I'll bet that I'm going 25mph+.
What temp should the head be? (I bought one of those temp guns)
Do they make a 9 tooth front gear?
You do realize it's not going to run well till it the motor warms up? It takes a few miles in the winter.

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
Thanks to everyone that posted on my problems!!
I'm finally rolling, and it's much better.
Here is a list of things I did, from all the suggestions..
cleaned up intake, exhaust and transfer ports with dremel.
filed down the crank shaft key (offset), to advance the timing, it didn't take much, but this was the biggest/noticeable difference.
trimmed the piston skirt on intake side.

I have been taking my laser temp gun with me on my rides to check the head and header temps.