starting adjustment needed

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a nt carb and 48cc engine.Here's my problem I have to turn the throttle all the way and the choke on.It has to rev a few after started and then choke can be turn off.After that it runs really good.I just want it to start with out the throttle all the way pulled.I don't know where to start c clips on needle up or down and or jets.Any idea's would help?

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
this is normal for some engines until they have a 100 or so miles to run them in

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
It's got about a thousand miles on it too.It's a 2010 model but I messed up the old carb so I put a nt on it about 5 months ago.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
My opinion, As long as it starts easy enough It doesn't matter if ya gotta choke it a bit. You say it runs good after it's started, leave it alone. My bike starts a little hard for the first time of the day, but after that it starts very easy, (till the next morning again.) I pump the 'Tickle button" untill it overflows for the first start of the day. It just starts easier with fresh fuel down the throat. You may get it to start REAL EASY, then perhaps it don't run as well. I've always said, If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. Sometimes when ya keep trying to fix something that ain't broke, It will be.
But then if ya gotta choke heck out of it EVERY TIME, even after warm up, then you might try bringing your needle up a notch. If that don't do it then you could try a little bigger jet. Sounds like you might be running just a little lean. Good enought to run when it's warm but making it hard to start. also, You didn't say if you were using the primer ("tickle") button or not.
fatdaddy.
Forgot to ask, Whats yer plug look like?

Last edited:

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Some times I use the tickle but and some times not.I do like the that fact to get fresh gas to carb.I start it in morning and have to turn choke on and hold throttle open ,bam she starts and choke goes down when smooth out.I don't have a problem after she's warm,try once bam she starts.I was just trying to get it starting better.Thanks for your suggestions

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I think most 2 strokes start a little harder when cold. It doesn't sound like you have a big problem unless ya gotta pedal the thing 2 or 3 blocks on a cold start. After I prime mine, get a cig lit, adjust my mirrors and stick on my helmet, 4 or 5 pedals on a cold morning and I'm on my way.
fatdaddy.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
well I usually don't ride when it gets below thirty because all my cheap china parts get brittle and break.I started it today but it's 48 degree's here now and it started about a block away.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I don't see any reason not to try richening the needle a bit - easy to undo if it doesn't work. I usually don't choke except on new engines, but do hit the tickler pretty hard for cold startups.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Thanks crassius I will drop the c clip down and check it out.I will also try to use tickler a little more that might help.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well I have seen a difference in gas ratio before they run really different and usually better after brake in,but will I see that much difference in the c clip adjustment.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
well I usually don't ride when it gets below thirty because all my cheap china parts get brittle and break.I started it today but it's 48 degree's here now and it started about a block away.
48 DEGREE'S!!!! My God man, If it hits 48 degree's here I stock survival rations, board up the doors and make sure I have plenty of firewood in case the power goes out or gas lines rupture.
OK, A little overly dramatic, But I still don't ride in that temp unless I absolutely HAVE to.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
That must be nice have all that warm weather.fatdaddy
No offense bro, I just couldn't live where you live. I HATE busting my cold knuckles on even colder stuff when I'm working on something. And I'm getting a little older so I just can't take it like I used to. You are a much tougher man than I am.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Well I have seen a difference in gas ratio before thy run really different and usually better after brake in,but will I see that much difference in the c clip adjustment.
Probably not a GREAT BIG HUGE DRAMATIC difference at higher RPM,s. And after about 1/4 throttle the needle has less and less effect on yer lower RPM's, (of course.) Raising the needle a notch will increase fuel flow slightly, while the plunger will have to open less in regards to the needle, resulting in slightly less air flow. So, more gas, less air, at a lower plunger level. This may be just what you need for an easier start, Ya won't know till ya try it.
fatdaddy.

Last edited: