How do I know the Engine I just got is a Flying Horse?

GoldenMotor.com

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
So my Flying Horse 66cc Motor Kit just came in yesterday! Hope to get the bike for it today or tomorrow , but the thing is, it has no markings or anything to confirm whether it is a actual Flying Horse Motor. So how do I know? I looked through the instruction manual too, and nothing.
Thank you scratg

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
The grips have nothing to do with it. Mine came with plane old grips and nothing to indicate it was a flying horse. In fact I didn't even get the color that I ordered. But, I still got an engine that ran great for 500 miles till I sold it.

(I did find the black gasket shavins on top of my piston when I took off the head to look for any possible metal shavings) I doubt it would have done anything anyway

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A Flying Horse motor will have the small size front motor mount spacing. I bought 2 this summer. Both had clutch handles with red inlays in the lever. The clutch handle locking mechanism wasn't the kind with a button, it has a kind of locking lever devise instead. Both hand grips had a winged eagle design in the rubber. Should have a NT carb. If it's silver, the whole motor is painted silver. The slant head had the spark plug aiming toward the rear.

Both of mine came with no identifying markings or numbers of any kind.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The muffler was chrome, and was shorter than any others I've seen. The end cap was recessed up into the body, so you couldn't see it except from looking at the end straight on.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you bought it from BikeBerry, I know that they ran out of them since the time I bought mine in the early summer, so yours could be a newer shipment.

Another sure fire way to tell if it's really a Flying Horse is if it has Japanese bearings. When I looked inside my motor, I noticed it had a Japanese small end bearing.

When the piston went up, the intake port was totally uncovered. No slight blockage what so ever.

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
Well.. I got the engine and drive chain mounted. But I still have alot to do. Shortening the chain was a, hmm, interesting experience I suppose. I got it tight though so that's good. Ill have her finished up in the morning, I'm enjoying the challenge of putting it together. One of the most fun parts was getting the chain tight and mounted and hearing the engine turn over when I move the rear wheel :) The bike I ended up with is the 700c Thruster, the frame was perfect for mounting the motor and it has front and rear brakes.

EDIT: I wasn't comfortable taking the motor apart to see if it had Japanese bearings and whatnot. I bought the engine from engineonlineshop.com

Last edited:

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Hey, Ive bought several flying horse engines and all of them have had Japanese made 6202 bearings, as well as high quality wrist pin bearings, however one did have a bushing but it ran just as well. Likewise mine have all had eagle grips, red inlay clutches ('cept the one I got in 2009, that was back when they used push buttons) and NT carbs. Good luck with your kit! Moto

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
Thanks Moto!
Well guys I need help. The rear wheel isn't wanting to turn for nothing and I don't know why. Does it have something to do with a clutch or not having been fired up yet? Really not sure whats goin on here, pls help, thank you.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Is the clutch lever pulled in? Are you trying hard enough? Sometimes the clutch pads are stuck a little bit from not being used.

If you turn the rear wheel does the motor start turning over? Try removing the spart plug.

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
I do not have the clutch lever mounted, so I guess I should do that huh? The engine does turn over and rear wheel will turn but it takes a fair bit of effort to do so.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I do not have the clutch lever mounted, so I guess I should do that huh? The engine does turn over and rear wheel will turn but it takes a fair bit of effort to do so.
The reason it hard to turn is you're turning the motor over against compression. This must be your first motor bicycle huh?

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
Haha yes it sure is, can you tell :p

My bike wont start either, spark plug doesn't seem to be sparking and its not wet either. I see gas go through the clear fuel line, but why it isn't making it too the spark plug I don't know. I rode it down the hill with the boot on but out of the motor while holding the rubber part >.< no spark.. Or maybe I couldn't see it? Can you even see the spark? I am such a newb.. please help.. I really need this bike operational tomorrow
:-||

EDIT: I took the carb off. Where it connects on to the engine, no gas has flowed into the engine at all. So the problem seems to lie in the carb not letting any fuel through. (fuel valve on with gas going through fuel line but not through carb) How do you get gas to flow through a carb?

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
They do have a feeble little spark that's hard to see in the daylight. Make sure it's wired correctly.

I've never had any trouble getting a new motor started. The trick to it is to work the throttle when you're pedaling. Open the throttle more than half way, and start pedaling. Jocky the throttle back and forth between half way, to full throttle till it fires. If it won't fire, try using the choke. If it's below 60 degrees you'll probably need to choke it.

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
HUFF HUFF Just tried it... Absolutely nothing and I really got going fast down hill AND pedaling hard, released clutch, gave the throttle all she got and all I got for it was a wore out, cold me.

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
I took the carb off with fuel in the line and its bone dry inside the carb.
Now I took the gas tank lid off and hit the tickle a bunch with the carb off and I got a good trickle of gas coming through the entire carb now. Tried it again and still nothing. So far the spark plug has never been wet. Somebody help me..

Last edited: