treatland sells exhaust wrap by the foot

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have been looking around for exhaust wrap. Advance auto parts website has a 15 ft roll for ten dollars, but none of the local shops have it in stock. So I decided to look on teatland.tv. I typed exhaust in the search bar, sorted the results from price low to high, and saw exhaust wrap for $1.50 per foot. Perfect for someone who doesn't need a whole 15 ft roll.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...and to the other extreme lol, as it's tough to figure how much ya might need, might make mistakes and/or have other builds that might need it (envious friends?), I figured I'd mention you can get a 50 foot roll fer cheap;

High Temperature Header/Exhaust Wrap Roll Black 1/8" X 1" X 50' $16.95

You may wish to consider the following as well as it helps protect the wrap & helps get rid of the prickly, fuzzy thang;

HT Silicone Coating $8.49

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Treatland is highly thought of with the MopedArmy swarm...

BA, I like that black wrap!
They also got it in 2" width, I think I saw...

Pls tell me... here, a while back, someone declared that heat retention, caused by the Xpipe wrap, would caused some sort of change in the performance of the engine... and possibly burn up the motor??? <I think> he had said the wrap should NOT extend all the way to the front of the pipe where it mounts to the cylinder???

Do you have any thoughts on that?

I just don't know.

If I were to use the wrap, it would be primarily to cut down noise.

Best
rc

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
from what i know with building turbo cars you want to keep the heat in, it has something to do with allowing the exhaust gas to flow faster. and ive seen alot of NA cars running headers fully wrapped with out burning up their motors. but they will rot out their headers if they dont use silicon sealer on them

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
keep in mind that one foot of heat wrap will go around your pipe about 2 and a half times. that's a coupla inches of covering.

there's a place local to me that sells the 1" black wrap for about 10 bucks for 15 feet. i use about 8-10 feet just to cover about 1' of pipe like this:

one easy way to keep the ends from fraying is krazy glue. squirt a line of it across where you wanna cut it, making sure it's saturated all the way through (doesn't take much) and then cut it before it dries with some old scissors.

as far as the pipe rusting goes, every pipe i've covered with it shows some surface rust when i've removed it, but never enough to actually hurt the pipe itself. the idea of it retaining moisture would hold true if you hardly ever ride your bike and you leave it outside in the rain, but, since the paint burns off these exhausts on your very first ride, the pipe will rust anyway. you'd probably have to leave your bike outside for 10 years before the rust did enough damage to corrode your pipe.

plus, these things get so freakin' hot, all the moisture would burn up from riding it.

never heard about heat retention harming the motors. i've never had a problem. i've also never noticed any HP increase, either. i just use the stuff because it's cheaper than new shoes, or a skin graft...

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
how many times it goes around depends on the diameter of the pipe you're wrapping. I cut the header off a stock muffler, the so-called "black cat" muffler, and attached it to a pocketbike pipe with a small chamber. I figured 3 feet would cover most of my header and probably my chamber as well. I am not planning to cover the entire exhaust, as this pipe has a long tail section which for some reason doesnt get very hot anyway. I am only planning to cover my header from right below the 90 degree angle to the other end of the chamber. as its a pocketbike pipe, it doesnt have a very large chamber. if it doesnt cover the chamber, its not a dealbreaker. I only want to cover the header because it leaks a little. I dont have any welding skills, so i mated the header to the chamber with fiberglass and painted it with barbecue paint. currently its covered with red rtv and permatex pipe sealer but it still leaks a bit. the wrap is going right over top of that. as long as i can cover the header, that all that really matters. the stuff treatland sells is two inches wide, so 3 feet is plenty for my needs. if I end up with excess, I will just use it. that way i dont have to cut it. just wish i knew if it came with the cable ties.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Treatland is highly thought of with the MopedArmy swarm...

BA, I like that black wrap!
They also got it in 2" width, I think I saw...

Pls tell me... here, a while back, someone declared that heat retention, caused by the Xpipe wrap, would caused some sort of change in the performance of the engine... and possibly burn up the motor??? <I think> he had said the wrap should NOT extend all the way to the front of the pipe where it mounts to the cylinder???

Do you have any thoughts on that?

I just don't know.

If I were to use the wrap, it would be primarily to cut down noise.

Best
rc
That might have been me :) What it is the heat tape does it's job too well and holds the heat in too much, especially right up next to the port. I have read several times that what happens the pipe where it's so hot will crack and start to leak. Starting your wrap 6-8 inches from the port causes this not to happen. There's no problem with this on MB's, most of the time the wrap is used to keep from frying skin and not for any HP gains. Any power not made is barely noticable on a 3 HP China motor. It's a small benefit on bigger motors and works the best on very high horsepower sustained run motors like NASCAR. That's where the cracks were discovered.

Oh, I got 50 feet of 1" white heat tape for $17.99 off ebay. I'm going to be using the silicone black spray to change the color, I expect it to be gray more than black but that's ok. When I modify the ItaliJet expansion chamber I'll be using VHT black to paint the pipe first.usflg

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am gonna order my 3 feet of exhaust wrap from treatland on or about April 6th. Thats the day my wife and I have some money coming in. I am just gonna email them and ask a couple questions first.