Sportsman Heavy Duty Sprocket Adapter

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey guys,
I asked for input on my prototype sprocket adapter, real input to improve the product before I went into production. I received quite a few good ideas and took what I could and incorporated them into the production version of my sprocket adapter. The response was good but people thought it should be wider if possible for greater clamping force and have taller standoffs for better tire clearence.

This picture clearly shows my original balanced three piece design.

DSC06289 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

The new production version is on the left and the prototype is on the right. First version was 3/4" wide. Production version is 7/8" wide and has 7/8" standoffs.

DSC06274 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Next picture shows the production version being measured. That's a FULL 7/8" wide. This has more clamping force than any other available sprocket adapter on the market. A true heavy duty adapter.

DSC06278 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

So, can all this bulk really fit inside a 36 spoke wheel with 12 gauge spokes? The true test here is if it fits a Worksman wheel without any interference. Here is the proof. It took five minutes to install. Fits perfectly and clears everything easily. This monster is rock solid!

DSC06280 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

One final shot. Pretty heavy duty, huh? Notice the counter sunk bolt holes on the sprocket and the large center sprocket hole for plenty of coaster brake arm clearence.

DSC06281 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sprocket adapters are designed for the Shimano 110 mm coaster brake hub. They come standard with a 40 tooth sprocket and sell for $80 plus shipping. Shipping is $10.50 flat rate with USPS. I have in stock 40t, 44t and 56t sprockets. Custom sprocket sizes are readily available and take about a week to cut. Paypal is [email protected].
Thanks,
Pat

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Pat, these look great! Do you know if the adapters will fit the wheels with 11 gauge spokes as well?
I just checked a few sites and they claim 11 gauge spokes for the Worksman wheels. I couldn't remember if they were 11 or 12 gauge last night so I measured them at .105" which to me is 12 gauge. 11 gauge would be .120". Whatever, the adapter fits the biggest spokes out there with plenty of clearence.

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
btw I think the production version is the one on the LEFT, counter to what your thread states.

And while I'm at it, I have seen these folks, like Pat says, these are super beefy units. The counter sunk heads on the sprocket and the larger hole for brake arm clearance are nice touches and fix problems that I had with another brand adapter that I bought some time back.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Pat, these look great! Do you know if the adapters will fit the wheels with 11 gauge spokes as well?
i have the prototype version and it's got plenty of space left in where the spokes meet the hub, worksman claims they're 11g spokes, pat claims they're 12g, either way i don't think a slightly bigger spoke will be a problem at all even with the newer slightly bigger adapters.

btw I think the production version is the one on the LEFT, counter to what your thread states.

And while I'm at it, I have seen these folks, like Pat says, these are super beefy units. The counter sunk heads on the sprocket and the larger hole for brake arm clearance are nice touches and fix problems that I had with another brand adapter that I bought some time back.
after you posted i went and looked at it, i think the reflections of light are making it hard to see.

best angle would be for them to be clamp down, sprocket up on a table side by side, i think that would be the most clear way if seeing a difference.

Last edited:

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
Pat,

This looks really great, I'm especially interested in this. But, Just to be clear, you're clamping it solely around the inner part of the hub, and there are only three points where it fits between the spokes, as opposed to 9 on the original sprocket adapter? Have you done any testing on these bad boys? It looks great, I'm just wanting some assurance, because I'm planning to make a full BT replica with a briggs 10hp (319cc). Do you think this will hold up with some 12 or 11 gauge spokes? :)

.duh.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Conabree,
Typical application is for a China two stroke. My adapter is very strong. 10 hp strong? I just don't know as I have not tested to that level. One way to find out, though, buy one and put it to the test. I have done some serious testing and not had a single problem. Others have tested as well and no problems to report.
Pat

Last edited:

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
Well the lucky thing is, that there's less tension in the spokes when there's more momentum (higher speeds), so when the rear wheel falls off, it won't hurt too bad. so I'll try out the Chinese sprocket adaptor on the 11/12 gaugers.. And when my rear-wheel collapses, I'll come hobbling over to my Paypal account to give you your dues for
Something safer :p.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Pat the production run looks awesome can't wait to get one for my next build. My prototype is working great and looks awesome. It took more time to get he old POS rag joint off then it did to get this one mounted, chain aligned and riding.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Pat the production run looks awesome can't wait to get one for my next build. My prototype is working great and looks awesome. It took more time to get he old POS rag joint off then it did to get this one mounted, chain aligned and riding.
Wow, thanks! That is what I like to hear. My hard work on this project is finally starting to help others.
Pat

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
i want one jest orderd worksman wheels 2 weeks to get them a shortage at ahundred ill have to wate a few more weeks for that add on but love how its looke will keap back tire looking rad as front putting on schwinn drifter

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I'm going to get a coaster hub wheel JUST so I can use your adapter
It's so pretty and it looks like high quality. Your price is perfectly reasonable too. Does it cost the same to get one with a 56 tooth as it does for the standard 40? thanks!
-LS

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I'm going to get a coaster hub wheel JUST so I can use your adapter
It's so pretty and it looks like high quality. Your price is perfectly reasonable too. Does it cost the same to get one with a 56 tooth as it does for the standard 40? thanks!
-LS
The 56t sprocket cost me more so I pass the difference on. Difference is $10. I have 40, 44, and 56t in stock.
Pat

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Fair enough, you got a great product going so I'll pay whatever :) I'll order from you soon hopefully. Peace
-LS