I'll try anything once

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
When the fridge went out in our Rev I was shocked to see the cost of repairs, $1,450 for a new unit. This is a absorption unit using ammonia as coolant, I found a new cooling unit online and repaired my fridge, the cooling unit mounts to the back of the unit and comes fully charged. It takes about four to five hours to do but for a $900 savings it was time well spent. Removing the fridge and laying it on the floor of the rv face down was the hard part, after repaired its holding °33 in the fridge so the freezer should be well below freezing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good for you, Greg. I've been away from that industry for many years but I thought they had outlawed ammonia equipment. Maybe it was just the big commercial stuff.

Ha ha, reminds me of an old guy who worked for a company I was with in Florida. He was our ammonia expert. I was visiting his jobsight one day when he pulled the crankcase hand hole cover off of a big old ammonia compressor that was used for an indoor ice rink. The fumes ran us both out, real quick. I never wanted to be around ammonia machines. They were nasty!

Glad you were able to get that fridge going. Saved some big bucks. Congratulations.
Now, you didn't JB it back in, did you? :)

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I didn't use j/b on this one, $580 for a new cooling unit was all it took. Every rv fridge that runs on duel fuel sources is filled with ammonia and hydrogen. It is strange that a flame heating the solution in the coil making it move will intern chill the inside of the fridge. Some rv's have triple fuel source units, 12v, 110v and propane. Mine is only 110v and propane. The 12v only operates the display on the control panel.