Low rider hub problem

GoldenMotor.com

Pcain

Apr 30, 2012
Melb Australia
Hey,

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I've got my motor up and running after a couple of years on my low rider. The only problem being that when I pedal the chain keeps coming off (bike chain not engine). It seems the little clip that holds the rear sprocket keeps popping off. I'm not sure what the cause is though. The clips is tough to get on.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I'll pop into a bike shop tomorrow to buy parts if required, however I'm not sure what the assembly is called and if I can buy replacements.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Only thing I can think of is the sprocket and/or hub might be worn in such a way that it torques off under pressure from pedaling. I'd try a different one to see if it fixes the issue.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that hub looks like a coaster brake hub - if it is, then there is a small actuator inside the hub that hooks up the sprocket when you pedal, or hooks up the pads when you brake by moving left/right on the axle inside the hub

check the "sheldonbrown.com" website to see how this works and adjust it if it is pushing too hard in one direction

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
if you don't change your sprockets and your chain is aligned you could weld the sprocket to the inner hub barrel. Like the picture shows, but your hardware is different.
I've done this is the past when doing tricks, and all the weight is on the coaster brake.

Attachments